• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cape Cod surfcasting?

ChevyGuy91

NES Member
Does anyone have any info on a good spot? I am not really interested in the canal, but more fishing from the beach (women involved). I will admit, all my experience is from fishing off boats, but I have some friends that want to go fishing next weekend and the last thing I want to do is pull in from 3 weeks out to sea and step foot on an other boat. Don't really care whats biting, prefer Striper's, but really just looking to sit on a cooler of beer and wet a line.

I appreciate any help, even if it is telling me it's the wrong time of year for it.

Give Mike at M&D's in Wareham a call or stop in to chat with him. He has good pulse on the fishing locally and he will steer you in the right direction. :)

Tell him I said hello.

I was at Sandwich Town beach last week doing some snorkeling to the south by the marsh inlet. I had stripers circling me for 20 minutes, some schoolies but a lot of 30"+ fish too. Find the rock jetties that go out from the shore and fish to the sides of them. You might hook up with a fluke or flounder or tog as well.

Beach fishing is usually a bit slow this time of year. It will pick up after Labor Day. Rather than call M&D, I would go down there, buy some lures, and ask them.

I kind of remember beach fishing being an early and late season thing. M&D is about 5 minutes from my house, so I will take a swing through and strike up a conversation while picking up the stuff I know I need. Thanks for the heads up.

Northside beaches in Dennis; Chapin Beach on the West end, and Crowe Pasture (Conservation Area) on the East side at the Brewster line.

If you go to the end of Chapin, you can get them running in and out with the tides there at Bass Hole.

If you go to Crowes, same thing, go to the far east where Quivet Creek runs in from the bay seperating Dennis/Brewster and you'll get them running there too.

Also they can be had from the frontal beach.

Sand eels = WIN.

Northside beaches in Dennis; Chapin Beach on the West end, and Crowe Pasture (Conservation Area) on the East side at the Brewster line.

If you go to the end of Chapin, you can get them running in and out with the tides there at Bass Hole.

If you go to Crowes, same thing, go to the far east where Quivet Creek runs in from the bay seperating Dennis/Brewster and you'll get them running there too.

Sand eels = WIN.

Would you suggest fishing the incoming or the outgoing?

Sand eels = WIN.

100%, spot-on advise. I've been fishing Chapin and Crowes for years. I take the SUV over-sand and find a good spot to park and plop. (Chapin just re-opened to off-road so I might hit that this weekend. I pay $200/year for the off-road sticker and I try to get as much use as possible out of it!)

I was at Crowes last week for evening hi tide which was a little after sundown. I had two bags of sandeels I had raked a few days earlier and were still fresh and firm. In fact I raked them at Crowes at low tide less than 1/8th of a mile where we parked to fish. We had a few schoolies, one being 26.5". Damn. Close but not legal. One of my buddies' rod and PVC tube was yanked clear out of the sand and he almost lost it to the creek. He grabbed it and yanked, but whatever was on the hook got off. :(

In regards to incoming/outgoing, I've always hit the beach about an hour before hi tide, and fished right through to an hour after. I've caught way more Stripers at dusk/ night on the northside Dennis beaches than daylight. I only recently started raking my own eels, and the $50 I paid for the rake is well worth it. You can buy them for $6 per sandwich baggy from some local tackle shops, but they're not always fresh. If I have the time and the tides/ times of day are perfect, I'll hit low tide to rake eels, then come back 6 hours later to fish hi tide with eels that just recently stopped squirming. :D

Back
Top Bottom