can someone tell me in layman's english how exactly does israel's "iron dome" work?

We have been selling them arms with the money we give them :) So like net cost to Israel is somewhere around zero with a GDP that is really close to ours lol

Also, according to our politicians and MSM, without our hard earned tax dollars Israel would cease to exist.

Just figured this was part of it.
The only true winner in this situation is Raytheon.

Radar and SAMs.

Israel has highly accurate firefinder radar they've been developing for decades, aided by technology sharing we did after we figured out the Patriot. That radar picks up incoming projectiles, a computer plots their course and speed, an intercept solution is sent to the nearest Israeli missile battery, and that battery launches a SAM to take down the incoming missile. They might not rely on just one missile per target, but it's not "tossing out a large number" either. The SAMs are very maneuverable, very fast, and have very accurate guidance systems.

The actual shootdown is done the same way antiaircraft has been done for decades: an explosion near the target, with shrapnel doing the job of downing the missile.
I don't know if if it's technically part of "Iron Dome" but the use systems similar to these as well.
1713324309289.png
It's the advanced tracking and guidance that make it all work.

And it's why you won't see Iran sending in aircraft either.

I read that Iron Beam was now online. It makes sense, with such an impressive knockout rate.
F-ing Jewish Space Lasers...

And, they said it was a conspiracy.

I don't know if if it's technically part of "Iron Dome" but the use systems similar to these as well.
View attachment 873487

Nothing like the Iron Dome. This is a Phalanx close-in weapon system; as far as I recall, only deployed by the Navy as a last-line of defense against incoming ship threats. Basically, it puts up a wall of lead or depleted uranium thanks to the mini-gun (which is short range radar driven). You'll find several on most every 'high-value' ship.

Last edited:
View attachment 873487

They’re not actually a big threat to aircraft because of their range. Aircraft would need to be practically flying nap of the Earth to be worried about them. SAMs are a much bigger threat.

Nothing like the Iron Dome. This is a Phalanx close-in weapon system; as far as I recall, only deployed by the Navy as a last-line of defense against incoming ship threats. Basically, it puts up a wall of lead or depleted uranium thanks to the mini-gun (which is short range radar driven). You'll several on most every 'high-value' ship.

They implemented them on larger FOB in Iraq as well to destroy incoming mortars and rockets. They may have technically been a different version of the system, but they were radar aimed chain guns.

Nothing like the Iron Dome. This is a Phalanx close-in weapon system; as far as I recall, only deployed by the Navy as a last-line of defense against incoming ship threats. Basically, it puts up a wall of lead or depleted uranium thanks to the mini-gun (which is short range radar driven). You'll several on most every 'high-value' ship.
Like I said, not technically part of Iron Dome.
I don't see any water here, and yup, it's shooting down rockets

BTW the US has ground based C-RAM as well

I'm pretty sure that is the same gun as is on the A10.
Certainly the concept is the same from the M134 7.62mm (mini gun) to the M61A1 20mm (C-RAM) and the GAU-8 30mm (A-10). I think the star of the show is the tracking and firing system, handling multiple moving targets at relatively close range, with zero margin for error. And relatively inexpensive. Sometimes mil-tech gets it right.

It stopped 99% of the target's. How does it work? Pretty damned well [thumbsup]

Israel actually has like 4 major anti missile/rocket systems, and Iron Dome is the shortest range one. It’s meant to stop not cruise missiles and ballistic missiles (don’t think it can stop those) but dumb rockets as commonly fired by Hezbollah. The computer also only fires missiles at rockets that are going to land in populated areas. It ignores rockets that will land in the middle of nowhere.

It’s unlikely Iron Dome was used at all in this attack. It seems no missiles entered Israeli airspace.

It's more like shooting trap or skeet actually. The intercepting missile detonates near the incoming missile and shrapnel takes it out.

Except for the Arrow 3 system, the longest range missile defense they have. That one just hits the target, it doesn’t explode. Probably cause an ICBM is traveling too fast, so a proximity explosion won’t stop it.

20mm FTW. The GAU-8 is *HUGE*

They are mostly for sea-skimmer anti-ship missiles or similar in terminal phase.

Apparently, the CIWS can/does guide a missile (the RAM) if so configured.

The phalanx system was used heavily on large land bases in Iraq. It was called c-ram and defended against rocket artillery and morters.

Used to scare the shit out of us when that shit fired. Brrrrrrrrp!

Hate to say it, but that's all part of the game. And it's FAR from just Israel.

But if you have to have a MIC, and it seems we do, then it's probably a good idea to keep it fed and watered, I guess. It's not like we'd just pull the plug on arms production and use that money for something cool like making motorcycles or something.
Except that in 2024 a huge % of MIC spending has nothing to do with bombs, guns, planes or cool shit.... the biggest graft players are in "services", something the economy gets no kickback/trickle down from.

By the American tax payer and by the way money well spent. But if the Biden Administration seems to be talking out of both sides of his mouth (s) for political reasons during upcoming voting season to please both sides. And another rant, If the Biden government can afford to keep giving all this money around the world, We are definitely way over taxed. But maybe its the Kentucky spring water brining out my instant knowledge ... 🇺🇲

Israel is ahead of the game, they have a sucker helping to pay their defense budget and a bunch of dual citizenship US politicians to keep the gravy train flowing.
The latter is not even required. The rubby bums gig with Israel is to keep them from buying hardware and services from someone else. AIC influence doesn't matter as much when the MIC is calling the shots. Israel and Turkey are the USes two biggest "buy ins" in the middle east.

Except that in 2024 a huge % of MIC spending has nothing to do with bombs, guns, planes or cool shit.... the biggest graft players are in "services", something the economy gets no kickback/trickle down from.

Like Kellogg, Brown and Root charging $300 per meal per head in Iraq? That was like 20 years ago, I wonder what the inflation adjusted rate is? :rolleyes:

Like Kellogg, Brown and Root charging $300 per meal per head in Iraq? That was like 20 years ago, I wonder what the inflation adjusted rate is? :rolleyes:

Those dudes had a good gravy-train running in the Balkans during the late '90s. Probably still do, there.

But those guys were crazy fast when processing requests. I once needed about a dozen dragons' teeth, a bunch of plywood, and a few hundred sandbags "as soon as possible;" they had everything to my location within about 40 minutes, with a hoist.

Those dudes had a good gravy-train running in the Balkans during the late '90s. Probably still do, there.

But those guys were crazy fast when processing requests. I once needed about a dozen dragons' teeth, a bunch of plywood, and a few hundred sandbags "as soon as possible;" they had everything to my location within about 40 minutes, with a hoist.

They probably had a stash the size of Utah. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom