Can Mass Residents purch AR Receivers?

Shooters-Hooksett

NES Member
As the title says: Can you folks in Mass purchase AR receivers?

If the answer is yes - I just received 50 Tactical Innovations Receivers - and they are $169.95 each or $150.00 cash price. The quality of these is real good! Sorry I don't have pictures...Jim

PS: NH, Maine, & VT folks of course [smile]

IIRC there was a thread about this... BATFE changed the regs on stripped recievers.... I guess the deal is now they get treated like handguns or some crap. Rileys was turning away people trying to buy stripped lowers from out of state. I am unsure if there is a wallhack for this. (EG, throw a stock on it and call it a rifle, or somesuch.)

-Mike

IIRC there was a thread about this... BATFE changed the regs on stripped recievers.... I guess the deal is now they get treated like handguns or some crap. Rileys was turning away people trying to buy stripped lowers from out of state. I am unsure if there is a wallhack for this. (EG, throw a stock on it and call it a rifle, or somesuch.)

-Mike

Tricky. Good point, as all that is required is the Federal form, no FA-10 to own a stripped lower. I'm not calling your bluff here, but I would be very interested to see the legislation that backs this. I wonder if you could have it shipped to a dealer and just fill out an FA-10 form registering it as a rifle in Ma. The whole issue of barrel length on the FA-10 is sort of moot due to the fact that I could switch it amongst any upper I choose. I would probably just mark it as 16" and file the form. I doubt they would cause a stink if it actually turned out to have a 20" barrel, but that's just my opinion. And I am certainly not a lawyer...

BATFE changed the regs on stripped recievers....

They didn't actually change any regs. They just made a clarification on the new 4473 form instructions stating that the receiver of a rifle or shotgun is not in itself considered a rifle or shotgun, but rather an 'other' firearm, per 18 USC 44 § 921 (a)(3)(B). Therefore an FFL cannot sell one to someone under 21 years old, and cannot sell one to an out of state resident.

Just slapping a stock on one does not in any stretch of the imagination cause it to fall under the § 921 (a)(7) definition of a rifle, and so does not get around the problem.

atilla said:
since that is what is considered the "gun" couldn't you register it as such? just say it's a XXX rifle chambered in YYY?

This is entirely a federal issue. For once, MA law is actually the less restrictive of the two, and does not place any hindrance on obtaining lowers out of state.

MFLR said:
PS: NH, Maine, & VT folks of course

ATF now wants you only selling these to NH residents (or other FFLs, of course).

Last edited:
They didn't actually change any regs. They just made a clarification on the new 4473 form instructions stating that the receiver of a rifle or shotgun is not in itself considered a rifle or shotgun, but rather an 'other' firearm, per 18 USC 44 § 921 (a)(3)(B). Therefore an FFL cannot sell one to someone under 21 years old, and cannot sell one to an out of state resident.

Just slapping a stock on one does not in any stretch of the imagination cause it to fall under the § 921 (a)(7) definition of a rifle, and so does not get around the problem.

This is entirely a federal issue. For once, MA law is actually the less restrictive of the two, and does not place any hindrance on obtaining lowers out of state.

ATF now wants you only selling these to NH residents (or other FFLs, of course).

So to clarify, if one from Ma were to have one shipped to an FFL here in this crap-hole state, it would be a legit purchase?

So, the answer to the rhetorical question is "sorta"[laugh]

On the bright side, we can avoid the dance of NH FFL's who won't touch MA residents with someone else's 10' poll...

So, we have that going for us, which is nice...[wink]

+1 for the use of a caddyshack quote!!

since that is what is considered the "gun" couldn't you register it as such? just say it's a XXX rifle chambered in YYY?

You're mixing up your federal and state issues, and the larger issue is the federal definition of "firearm" versus "rifle".

Stopped by and picked up one this evening. Very nice receivers with an upper tensioning screw, good finish and as of now there are a number still in the display. Marked as Multi and no designation as rifle/pistol

There is no cash discount, mentioned NES, the thread and the offer but did not get anywhere. $169.95 cash

Last edited:
No idea on the laws for a stripped lower, all I know is I had a stripped lower sent to four seasons and they sold it to me registered as an AR15 registered receiver with a barrel length of 0." Not sure if I have to FA-10 it after it's built or not. On the other hand, I guess it really doesn't matter since it's now registered NFA.

Functionally speaking, though, this clarification does = a reg change, because if the issue is clarified, the FFL can no longer simply call it a rifle and transfer it as such. That was "the old way" and generally accepted as such, and nobody ever got in trouble for it. Now apparently, with this
clarification, it potentially sets someone up for trouble if they do it the old way.

-Mike

Functionally speaking, though, this clarification does = a reg change, because
if the issue is clarified, the FFL can no longer simply call it a rifle and transfer
it as such.

Yes, pragmatically you're right. But technically they did not change or put out any new regs or rulings, so nobody would be able to find the change if they went looking for it (unless they looked at the 4473 instructions).

Back
Top Bottom