Can I use blue or L.E.-marked mags in Maine?

Title says it all, really. I am obviously not a LEO, but can I use "blue" or "L.E. marked" (CDNN use the two terms seemingly interchangeably) in Maine? They are std. cap. mags, not 20rds or anything like that.

Go ahead... get your first gun and then immediately start rubbing it in! LOL Go for it, you don't have the problems we do here. Not sure if Portland has any restrictions but Maine doesn't.

Yes, ME is fine. However, there is no reason to buy the
things, when there are plenty of unmarked mags around.

FWIW, if you're looking for new magazines for your P226, I reccomend getting
some MecGar flush-fit 17 rounders. MecGar is an OEM for sig and their
products are first rate.

-Mike

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to rub y'all the wrong way! I don't know where and when the restrictions are in place, to be honest I can't see the point of marking mags when they are in an otherwise-legal capacity from the factory? [thinking]

drgrant: I am going to be doing some IDPA, so I was actually looking for 10rd mags. CDNN's catalogue lists them quite cheaply, but says some are marked - hence I was wondering if they're legal for me to use or not. I have heard of MecGar but haven't seen any prices for them yet...

number9- now as a lawfull gun owner you need to make sure you know the laws... the burden is on you to know them, the local LEO won't offer it up! Good luck and be safe.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to rub y'all the wrong way! I don't know where and when the restrictions are in place, to be honest I can't see the point of marking mags when they are in an otherwise-legal capacity from the factory? [thinking]

Well, if they're 10 rounders, they won't be marked. Only mags above 10
rounds, that marking was required for, during the ban. So anything thats
a 10 rounder never has markings. If CDNN says they do, it's probably a
misprint.

drgrant: I am going to be doing some IDPA, so I was actually looking for 10rd mags. CDNN's catalogue lists them quite cheaply, but says some are marked - hence I was wondering if they're legal for me to use or not. I have heard of MecGar but haven't seen any prices for them yet...

If the 10 rounders are dirt cheap (as in like 10-12 bucks or less) I can
understand... but if the price was anywhere close to the normal mag
price, you're just buying an inferior magazine. If you're going to be
paying $15-20 or more, you're better off getting normal mags and
downloading them. The cripple mags work fine but you can tell the
10 round crippling is a hack job. Either way, you're in a free state, so
you don't have to worry about capacity/markings/etc. Any magazine
made is legal for you to own.

-Mike

Not to get too far off track but prebans are plentiful for the 226 and 228... for us unfortunate MA residents.

Thanks a bunch Mike. I got confused, they list some replacement (I'm guessing non-factory) 15rd versions being available for less than $10, factory blue 15rd versions for $30 and "blue finish" factory 10rds for $15. Weird!

This is probably Sig-specific (and I'm not sure what you own), but is there much of a difference between factory and non-factory mags? Thanks again!

M1911: So I should probably ask on a SIG forum then? I figured it would be brand-specific, but there might be some brands that are junk no matter what the application.

Thanks a bunch Mike. I got confused, they list some replacement (I'm guessing non-factory) 15rd versions being available for less than $10, factory blue 15rd versions for $30 and "blue finish" factory 10rds for $15. Weird!

This is probably Sig-specific (and I'm not sure what you own), but is there much of a difference between factory and non-factory mags? Thanks again!

Get either factory or mecgar branded. MecGar is a Sig OEM, so their
magazines are often similar to the ones that come packed with the
guns.

Stay far far away from anything that isn't either "Sig Factory" or "MecGar",
especially ProMag. Anything made by promag tends to abide by the
rule of "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Places to look.... go on sigforum.com classifieds section and poke
around in there. You might find someone willing to part with
mags for a reasonable price, either new or used. Some of my
free-state friends also look on Gunbroker for new mags. (sometimes
if you email the seller theyll sell mags at a quantity discount, as well.)

-Mike

Thanks (again) Mike, that is great info. Some of the stuff CDNN were selling is ProMag, but I can't remember if it was the stuff for my Sig or just for other handguns.

but there might be some brands that are junk no matter what the application.
Yes. USA brand is junk. Mecgar is usually ok. I would not touch ProMag.

Magazines are SO crucial to the reliability of a semi-auto gun that, except for 1911s, I will not use aftermarket mags. It just isn't worth it.

Spend a few more bucks for factory mags that you know will work.

The "Blue" in these cases just refers to the surface finish of the metal and has
nothing to do with LE Only...

Another vote against Pro-Mags. I've only tried a couple & have been disappointed each time. With the availability of factory mags, marked & unmarked, I would get them.

I do use 10s for IDPA, just so I don't have to worry about my full caps getting stepped on, but either will serve you well. I've also had good luck with the reliability of the P99 & HK 10s so that's not an issue for me.

Sounds like you got the new pistol, congrats.

CD

Another vote against Pro-Mags. I've only tried a couple & have been disappointed each time. With the availability of factory mags, marked & unmarked, I would get them.

I do use 10s for IDPA, just so I don't have to worry about my full caps getting stepped on, but either will serve you well. I've also had good luck with the reliability of the P99 & HK 10s so that's not an issue for me.

Sounds like you got the new pistol, congrats.

CD
Thanks CD. Yep, I got the 226, now I just have to wait until Phil gets it so I can go pick it up! It's not pretty (it was a duty piece I believe) but it's what I want. I might just go with 3 factory 10rd mags...

Yes, ME is fine. However, there is no reason to buy the
things, when there are plenty of unmarked mags around.

FWIW, if you're looking for new magazines for your P226, I reccomend getting
some MecGar flush-fit 17 rounders. MecGar is an OEM for sig and their
products are first rate.

-Mike

I have 2 of the 10 round MecGars for my 226 and I don't like them. It is nearly impossible to pull the mag out in the case you get a double feed. Not condusive to fast clearing (not that I've ever had a double feed from my Sig except with cheap ammo). The factory mags stick out a little in front of the grip which give you something to pull on. they are good quality, and reliable though.

Matt

Last edited:
Thanks Matt. I'm a little confused as to what you mean, when you get a double-feed you have problems releasing the mag? But other than that they're fine?

I have 2 of the 10 round MecGars for my 226 and I don't like them. It is nearly impossible to pull the mag out in the case you get a double feed. Not condusive to fast clearing (not that I've ever had a double feed from my Sig except with cheap ammo). The factory mags stick out a little in front of the grip which give you something to pull on. they are good quality, and reliable though.

Matt

I dunno about the 10 round mecgars... most of the 10 round mags I have
are all sig factory. I've only dealt with the normal-cap mecgars, like their
flush fit mags. Course on the P226 I only have 2 cripple mags and
the rest are all normal, so admittedly my experience is limited in that
respect.

-Mike

Thanks Matt. I'm a little confused as to what you mean, when you get a double-feed you have problems releasing the mag? But other than that they're fine?
To clear a Type 3 malfunction, or double feed, you usually have to strip the magazine out of the weapon under pressure because the round at the top of the mag is applying force against the chambered round as well as the top of the slide. (I was trained "Lock, Strip, Rack, Rack, Rack, Tap, Rack, Bang" for Type 3 malfunctions.) The Sig mags I have extend slightly at the front of the grip to give you more to "grab." Perhaps that's what he means. That's why on 1911's for instance, you'll see a cut-out at the front of the extended magwells to give you room to reach in and grab.

To clear a Type 3 malfunction, or double feed, you usually have to strip the magazine out of the weapon under pressure because the round at the top of the mag is applying force against the chambered round as well as the top of the slide. (I was trained "Lock, Strip, Rack, Rack, Rack, Tap, Rack, Bang" for Type 3 malfunctions.) The Sig mags I have extend slightly at the front of the grip to give you more to "grab." Perhaps that's what he means. That's why on 1911's for instance, you'll see a cut-out at the front of the extended magwells to give you room to reach in and grab.

That's exactly what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom