Can I legally bring someone else's gun to the range?

You can borrow a gun from a resident of another state "for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes" only. That's all the law states. I have never seen any clarification as to what that means, exactly. I tend to err on the side of caution and say that if the owner is not generally around (as in, they give you the gun and go back home) it's not really temporary use, it's more like a transfer and so is not legal. However, that is only my interpretation. Borrowing the gun for a few days/weeks while the owner goes back to their own state may actually be legal.

You also touched upon a good point that should be highlighted. While you can borrow a gun from a resident of another state, you cannot go pick it up and bring it to your home state. You can borrow it in their state (if state law allows) or you can have them bring it to you in your state (again, if state law allows). But you cannot personally cross the border into your home state with it. (Yes, I know, it's retarded, but that's the federal law on the matter).

isnt threre also a part about the rules that says you cannot use a borrowed, out of state handgun for protection purposes?

I know that the OP's question has to do with borrowing a firearm from a relative but, as a more general issue, if you lend a firearm to someone who says that they are going to the range and they hold up a bank instead you have become an accomplice.

Just a thought in case anyone else was planning on lending out their firearm. Not that you would lend it to someone shady but if there is a legal issue don't be surprised if, at a minimum, it gets back to your issuing authority.

Why not invite your uncle to a day at the range and spring for the ammo?

because you need an FID or LTC to buy ammo in MA, or to even possess it. So it still doesnt work.

What does temporary use mean? What if I "borrowed" a gun from a NH resident but brought it to "live" with him 1 day per calendar year (or maybe he picks it up)?

Could this loophole be turned into a business venture?

It's not in there specifically, but it's implied in the "only for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes" wording. Protection is not a sporting purpose.

Back
Top Bottom