Can I borrow your Go/No-Go gauges?

Okay fellow milsurpaholics......

Before I go out and start buying multiple sets of my own headspace gauges, I thought I'd see if I can find someone who will let me borrow theirs. I only need a few minutes with them. I admit, I'm a little cheap and don't want to have to go out an buy them for $32 a set, and another $16 for the field gauge.

I only need them for 303 brit and 30-06 (1903s and M1 Garand) right now.

Anyone around the 495 south beltway between the pike and 95?
I will travel to you or we can meet at AFS-No.Attleboro or Hopkington Sportmen's Assoc.

If your not changing barrels and setting the headspace you only need the "Field Headspace Gauges" to see if your surplups are safe to fire.

You only need the "Go" & the "No Go" gauges if your changing out barrels.

Thanks BigBill. I was kinda thinking along those lines, and only really needing to get the field gauge, if I end up having to buy one. And I think a cartridge itself can basically substitute for the GO gauge, right? Or is this only for rimmed cartridges, like my 303 brit? I guess if I headspace off of a 30-06 that is not "perfect" dimensions, this may not work.

The 30-06 rifles are all CMP rifles and I thought I read somewhere that the CMP checked them for headspace and test fired them. Now I can't find where I read that, so maybe I was dreaming. Maybe it was just for the M1 Garand, and not the M1903s??

Gesh.. I maybe need to go back and read another 100 pages on headspace before I know what I need to know. I just read another piece and it talks about headspace and the ammo you actually use being the most important, rather than just the headspace measurement of the chamber. But, I think this is mostly an issue for reloaders, and not if I plan to only use commerical ammo.

I was just thinking that the general rule was always to recheck headspace on any "old" milsurp, just out of good habits. Same rule I thought I'd follow about always full disassmbling and cleaning anything I buy, before I shoot it. Just good practice to follow, right?

Thanks again.

Nice meeting you today at NET!

You might try posting the question on whether or not CMP did headspace them (1903s and M1s) on the CMP forum. I believe it is off of their website odcmp.com.

You should get an answer from their staff that you can take to the bank.

Traveler, please post whatever answer you get out of CMP back here in this thread for the benefit of others.

Thanks.

Len, yes it was great meeting you this week.

After doing some searching on the CMP forum, the answer was already there.

QUOTE---we test fire all Garands except for some we may consider collector grade. Just to be clear about when we test fire - we do not test fire just prior to shipping. The rifle may have been inspected, graded, and test fired two years ago and just hasn't shipped until now - as with our danish less wood.

Regardless of grade and our own confidence in the rifle - we recommend all rifles be taken to a gunsmith - to include even the ones that are new in the wrap. it is our company policy to recommend that. END QUOTE

I also found another post from them that says that they also check headspace on all 1903s, but do NOT test fire them.

I also got good confirmation from them that I really only need the FIELD gauge for rechecking a barrelled receiver. They say the GO/NO GO gauges are really only useful for a gunsmith putting on a new barrel or doing rechambering. If it closes on a FIELD gauge, then you have a dangerous firearm. Although, I did see one "old-timer's" post that he still uses a NO GO gauge just to be a bit more cautious. (Maybe another AR vs. AK type issue?). I can get the one gauge from Brownells for $16, so I guess I will throw it into my next order.

Back
Top Bottom