California Detective: Citizens Who Open Carry Should be Shot

The difference is, cops are employees of the State. They shouldn't have the luxury of saying "oh, that man is suspicious simply because he has a firearm, it's going to get stolen" then prone him out as a result and find it funny because HE'S not a gun guy. I don't give a shit WHAT kind of a guy he is. If you have questions about my firearm, ask me. Otherwise, move along. Prone me out and laugh about it on faceplant? I'm going for your job. You aren't fit to have it.

It sounds like they're making two separate points about the behavior of the open carriers and the threat of their unloaded gun being stolen. But in the article that terraformer linked to, it wasn't a case of a cop driving by the guy on the street and stopping to hassle him. They were responding to a 911 call for a man with a gun who wasn't wanted on the property by management. They don't have the option of not responding to 911 calls, especially when a private citizen wants an armed patron removed.

Now, why would anyone need to carry an assault rifle in the downtown area? It is perfectly within their rights, but why do it? Again, it's not about the scary guns, but practicality. Now open carrying a sidearm is reasonable.....a very practical self defense weapon for personal carry.

Someone like Carl Drega would be a great reason to carry an "assault rifle" in a downtown area of NH.

Mike, I support their right.....but sometimes you also need to use your head. Just because they can do it doesn't mean they should.

Funny, you could apply that statement to open carry in general...[wink]

I'm not mentioning names but, you have to question some of the people who post on this forum. Are you really pro gun or just wanna make some friends by pretending you're pro gun.

I'll second the notion that there are too many bozos on this bus.

Which is what the Anti's say about carrying in general.

Well the difference being that I would not support removing someone's rights. A situation could come up where carrying the AK might be a good idea. Just because I think the gathering was stupid, does not mean I would want to see a law enacted. The government is too involved in our lives and rights as it is.

I'm not mentioning names but, you have to question some of the people who post on this forum. Are you really pro gun or just wanna make some friends by pretending you're pro gun.

I'll second the notion that there are too many bozos on this bus.

Pretending????? Are you even serious?

Mike, I support their right.....but sometimes you also need to use your head. Just because they can do it doesn't mean they should.

I see some of what you are saying- that there may be perceived "political negatives" from this activity.

That said, I'd also venture a guess that there is very little difference between the "concealed carry hoplophobe" and the "open carrying anything" hoplophobe. In either case, the whiner is immobilized with irrational fear, based on the thought of "someone without a badge and a uniform carrying a gun". Oh noes!

One thing that I can visibly see that you are having a hard time wrapping your head around is that this activity is arguably legal, but you are still mentally hung up on the trap most people are- that people shouldn't do it because it might scaaaare somebody. Well, guess what, I'm offended at most of the crap on TV they call "news". It scares me that they're allowed to publish such garbage over the air, and millions of people probably believe all of it. I don't worry about it though, because
frankly it is their right to speak, and it still must be protected. A lot of people have a hard time grasping that natural, and by extension, constitutional, rights, are worth protecting... even if it means someone might do something with them that offends
us when utilizing that right.

Ironically one thing I think "open carry haters" should do is push to remove any restrictions or permitting/licensing on concealed carry. A large component of the open carry protest, believe it or not, is that people are protesting the fact that the government is requiring a license for someone to carry a gun in a certain manner. If OC and CC had the same (constitutionally friendly) rules applied to them, how many people would open carry... even in protest.... probably not many.

-Mike

Last edited:
Murderous? How does someone making a threatening movement with a legal gun different than someone making a threatening movement with an illegal gun?

I don't know what point you're trying to make here. Of course, there is no difference in your example. Plus, there's no such thing as an "illegal" gun or a "legal" gun. Guns don't break laws. Only people can do this.

At any rate, any comparison between a citizen critizing the constitutionality or morality of Massachusetts gun laws is vastly different than talking about "proning" OCing, law-abiding citizens. The First Amendment doesn't protect all forms of speech.

I see some of what you are saying- that there may be perceived "political negatives" from this activity.

That said, I'd also venture a guess that there is very little difference between the "concealed carry hoplophobe" and the "open carrying anything" hoplophobe. In either case, the whiner is immobilized with irrational fear, based on the thought of "someone without a badge and a uniform carrying a gun". Oh noes!

One thing that I can visibly see that you are having a hard time wrapping your head around is that this activity is arguably legal, but you are still mentally hung up on the trap most people are- that people shouldn't do it because it might scaaaare somebody. Well, guess what, I'm offended at most of the crap on TV they call "news". It scares me that they're allowed to publish such garbage over the air, and millions of people probably believe all of it. I don't worry about it though, because
frankly it is their right to speak, and it still must be protected. A lot of people have a hard time grasping that natural, and by extension, constitutional, rights, are worth protecting... even if it means someone might do something with them that offends
us when utilizing that right.

Ironically one thing I think "open carry haters" should do is push to remove any restrictions or permitting/licensing on concealed carry. A large component of the open carry protest, believe it or not, is that people are protesting the fact that the government is requiring a license for someone to carry a gun in a certain manner. If OC and CC had the same (constitutionally friendly) rules applied to them, how many people would open carry... even in protest.... probably not many.

-Mike

Not entirely true Mike, I don't give a sh*t if someone is scared about handgun open carry. In fact, I think it's a good thing for people to become desensitized to seeing a law abiding citizen carrying openly. The handgun open carry actually makes sense....you are carrying for personal protection. I don't really see what statement you are making open carrying on the town square and marching around JUST to tick people off. Again, not saying they need to make it illegal, I just think a little discretion on the carrying party's part would be better. If anything, I think the statement causes the anti-gun people to flare up and it hurts our cause.

Not entirely true Mike, I don't give a sh*t if someone is scared about handgun open carry. In fact, I think it's a good thing for people to become desensitized to seeing a law abiding citizen carrying openly. The handgun open carry actually makes sense....you are carrying for personal protection. I don't really see what statement you are making open carrying on the town square and marching around JUST to tick people off. Again, not saying they need to make it illegal, I just think a little discretion on the carrying party's part would be better. If anything, I think the statement causes the anti-gun people to flare up and it hurts our cause.

The point of going to a town square is basically the same as it is for a gay pride parade, it's to keep the pro gun side fired up, to keep them out and aware. It's not about converting the sheep, it's about keeping the attention of those who already agree, reminding them that this is still an issue. With civil rights of all stripes, you have to run pretty hard just to stand still, but people tend to forget that, and that's who these protests are generally aimed at.

There's also a certain schadenfreudian joy that comes from annoying people who deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom