• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CA Senate Votes to Require Background Checks for AMMO and BAN Semi Auto Rifles

Losing the ability to use and sell your lawfully purchased property deprives you of its value. That is a taking.

I still disagree with you. Confiscation, the one we actually fear, is when they go door to door collecting. What they've done is make it so it's illegal to possess. They don't come to your door and take it. They took no value as, under law, it is contraband, thus, legally, has zero value. I'm not saying I agree with it (and I most certainly don't!). But, to me, it's not the "confiscation" that many here harp about.

Ignoring the constitutional problems of malum prohibitum laws in general, when things are declared prohibited, generally you see a "grandfather clause” for precisely this reason. The review of the bill generally recognizes that as a taking and allows for grandfathering to prevent the obvious legal challenge. This was true of alcohol prohibition BTW.

Malum prohibitum laws blow. Mens rea should be the order of the day.

A. Not here in MA it ain't

Sure it is. Excepting for medical marijuana (which, to my knowledge, the dispensaries have not yet opened). Even though <1oz is a civil fine it is still illegal.

B. Well, one supposes if they confiscate said Mary Jane when they arrest you, you'd be the victim of confiscation....

Do they go door to door? That's the confiscation to which I am referring.

Surely (I know. Don't call me Shirley), this crap is headed to Federal court. This is an egregious infringement of the 2nd Amendment.

Sure it is. Excepting for medical marijuana (which, to my knowledge, the dispensaries have not yet opened). Even though <1oz is a civil fine it is still illegal

This. Federal law STILL prohibits use and possession. You can become a "prohibited person" at the drop of a hat. Even if you potheads have a Mass legal prescription, it doesn't matter to the Feds. Think about the importance of having your daily "toke" is, compared to the consequences, and Mass will jam you up on suitability as well.

Who is "we"? I fear any infringements and why keep arguing semantics?

Say "confiscation" to anyone. Do they think "oh possession is illegal" or "door-to-door searches"? "We" can be any number of posters on this site.

I argue semantics because they are important (even if I turn out to be incorrect). Just like we argue what an "assault weapon" is with an anti. The definition and meaning is very important.

You say they took no value then in the same sentence say it legally now has zero value. That means they made a law that took the value away from said item for an individual wishing to use said item or sell said item in the private market. That is a confiscation of property without due process.

Do you lose the property upon passing of the law? No. Therefore they have not taken anything from you and so you have not been deprived of property without due process (as you still have it in your possession). I'm not saying it's right (and it's not) nor is it something I want.

Yes, we understand they are not knocking on doors.

I would, however, not be super surprised to see that coming down the pipe there...

Last edited:
Some one create a earthquake machine like in arrow, put it on the San Andreas w/e fault and turn that shit to 10.0 then watch as Cali joins Australia.

I'd rather they join Atlantis. Australia is still above water.

I disagree with you. It is not confiscation in the sense that someone comes to your door to take them. And you do not lose life or liberty without due process. If one is found, the possessor (,unless a TV host) will be charged with the crime under current law and be tried.

Marijuana is illegal ... does arresting you for having an illegal substance mean confiscation?

By that logic, Germany didn't confiscate weapons before/during WWII because their decrees stated that people had a limited amount of time to voluntarily turn their arms in. After that period, anyone found to be in possession of arms would face severe penalties or be shot on the spot.

If someone legally owned marijuana today, and it was made illegal tomorrow with no grandfathering of what was already legally owned, then yes it would be confiscation of property.

I still disagree with you. Confiscation, the one we actually fear, is when they go door to door collecting. What they've done is make it so it's illegal to possess. They don't come to your door and take it. They took no value as, under law, it is contraband, thus, legally, has zero value. I'm not saying I agree with it (and I most certainly don't!). But, to me, it's not the "confiscation" that many here harp about.
Then you will have to be content to be wrong I guess...

If you buy the argument that levels of abstraction remove guilt from the aggressor then government has some bridges to sell you and will offer you a free train ride, room and board for the rest of your life and even a shower.

I don't know why you are trying to hard to excuse what is being done here?

The simple fact is that lawfully purchased property is being taken away from anyone who obeys the law. Even the courts find that to be a taking and have ruled as such over and over.

The holder of such property has no choice by to relinquish ownership and possession or be in violation of the law. This whole pre-ban thing didn't happen because they like us and wanted to make sure we still had a way to get the toys we wanted if we were willing to deal with higher price and hassle. It happened because they knew that outlawing existing guns WAS CONFISCATION and the law would fail immediately in the courts.

Last edited:
It's definitely confiscation. They are banning transfers of currently owned "assault weapons." Which means upon death your rifles cannot be passed down. They must be fully destroyed or made inoperable. That's confiscation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Then you will have to be content to be wrong I guess...

If you buy the argument that levels of abstraction remove guilt from the aggressor then government has some bridges to sell you and will offer you a free train ride, room and board for the rest of your life and even a shower.

I don't know why you are trying to hard to excuse what is being done here?

The simple fact is that lawfully purchased property is being taken away from anyone who obeys the law. Even the courts find that to be a taking and have ruled as such over and over.

The holder of such property has no choice by to relinquish ownership and possession or be in violation of the law. This whole pre-ban thing didn't happen because they like us and wanted to make sure we still had a way to get the toys we wanted if we were willing to deal with higher price and hassle. It happened because they knew that outlawing existing guns WAS CONFISCATION and the law would fail immediately in the courts.

Ooh. Can you quote a case? I am genuinely interested.

There's no way in hell a ban on semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines will survive a court challenge.

I think you're right. Unfortunately, we have to wait for these stupid laws to make their way through the legal process which can take years as well all know. Lawmakers have lost their damn minds. They just devise whatever laws they like and shove them through the legislature without caring about constitutionality anymore. Hell, what do they have to lose? Pass the damn thing and hope know one cares or challenges it. If they do lose it in court, oh well, they can say they tried and move on to passing their next asinine law with the same process.

I mean BANNING semi-auto's.....REALLY? If that doesn't fall under the 'commonly owned' language handed down through SCOTUS, then I don't know what the hell will...

They don't care and they'll keep passing laws because they are fully aware that:

1) They can pass laws faster than they can be challenged.
2) There is no penalty for doing so, even when laws blatantly violate previous decisions.

#1 cannot be solved without abolishing all government.
#2 has a single solution. Politicians who pass laws that violate rights start dying. In large numbers.

They don't care and they'll keep passing laws because they are fully aware that:

1) They can pass laws faster than they can be challenged.
2) There is no penalty for doing so, even when laws blatantly violate previous decisions.

#1 cannot be solved without abolishing all government.
#2 has a single solution. Politicians who pass laws that violate rights start dying. In large numbers.
Winner... When there is no consequence the obviously morally correct politicians will do the right thing.

I am sure someone with more legal credentials than I can quote better law, but here's an intro:
Pennsylvania Coal Co. v. Mahon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Court ruled that whether a regulatory act constitutes a taking requiring compensation depends on the extent of diminution in the value of the property.

And here:
Guide to the Constitution

And here:
Regulatory taking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course there have been 90+ years of ruling after that and I will tell you that most of them are rulings on "real property" (ie. land), but it is my understanding that even as the court has allowed for various taking of land for public interest, a complete deprivation of all economic interest in property without compensation is not allowed under the 5th amendment. For more than that, you'd have to ask a lawyer for the best answer.

Gun grabbers are of course trying to make the bullshit argument that if it isn't taken for public use they can take it as you will see here, but note even here that they comment that grandfather clauses obscure their analysis because they put the issue and challenge to rest.

ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN AND TAKINGS CLAUSE

By that logic, Germany didn't confiscate weapons before/during WWII because their decrees stated that people had a limited amount of time to voluntarily turn their arms in. After that period, anyone found to be in possession of arms would face severe penalties or be shot on the spot.

Cite, please.
Hint: It were the Allied Forces confiscating arms after WWII and threatening anyone who kept theirs with the death penalty.

Confiscation, the one we actually fear

Im much more afraid of this type of legislation than door to door confiscation. Americans have proven that they will comply with legislation that strips them of their 2A rights. All you have to do is look at CA, MA, NY, NJ, IL, etc.

Door to door might mean a bloodbath (it still likely will not), but it might be the only thing that motivates Americans to stop complying with tyranny.

And, I'm guilty of complying like a coward as well. So, I have the right to say it.

what a shithole. i feel for those guys.
Seems very extreme. The rifle/shotgun combo is very popular in Europe because of the strict gun laws. They used to call them "drillings", with one rifle barrel and either one or two shotgun barrels. Allowed the hunter much versatility with a single firearm.

CA is indeed a state that takes the trouble to visit homes of those whose "FID Card" equivalent in CA has expired, or who have had a restraining order issued and are cross-indexed as having an "FID Card", etc.

They DO go door-to-door to confiscate firearms in CA.

Anyone with a CA "FID Card" will probably get a house-shaking door knock by a dressed-to-kill tactical squad "asking" to enter the home to search for banned firearms/magazines - probably after the husband has left and the wife is scared sh*tless. Firearms, ammo and mags will be seized and submitted to see if they "pass the test". Good luck getting a revolver or bolt-action, 4rd internal magazine rifle back once tossed in the government's pit.

Just the next chapter in the book for CA...

They are Americans. We let them be thrown under the bus without our support, and we deserve it when they come knocking at our doors.

What ever happened to Oath of Office that every elected official takes,to" Protect and Defend the Constitution of the U.S.A. "
I would like to think the courts could direct elected officials to keep this in mind when passing legislation.

......................Jack

**** this shit. Call your reps and DEMAND protection from such tyranny.

Right. I'm sure that will work. I'm sure it will work even better if you write some strongly worded letters.

[rofl]

These people don't give a rats ass about you and they love tyranny.

Immediately, off the top of my head, no. But that doesn't change the fact that you're still not correct here - It had value (monetary and utilitarian value), and now it does not, since you may neither legally sell it nor legally use it.

Constructive Taking Law & Legal Definition

My Google-fu isn't working too well this AM. Read that, note that even a zoning ordinance can reasonable be challenged as a taking (hence all of the "in previous use as" lines in zoning laws) and then go look for cases.

Back
Top Bottom