CA - Assembly Passes Bill Creating Long-Gun Registration Database

Bills that would ban lead shot in state wildlife areas and require registration of newly purchased rifles and shotguns passed the state Assembly on Thursday.

Both bills, which overwhelmingly passed the Democrat-controlled Assembly, drew the ire of local gun shops owners and state hunting and sporting groups.

“I doubt very seriously this is going to help in any way, shape or form to keep crime down,” Rich Howell, manager of Olde West Gun and Loan in Redding said Friday of AB 1810, the so-called “long gun” registration bill.

Authored by Mike Feuer, D-Los Angeles, the bill would require registration of rifles and shotguns so that a database can be kept for law enforcement purposes. It would be similar to the way handguns currently are tracked.

Under the current system, those who buy rifles and shotguns must go to a licensed firearms dealer. The dealer runs a background check on the buyer. If the new gun owner passes the background check, he or she must wait 10 days before they can take the gun home.

The records from that transaction are then destroyed.

“AB 1810 would stop the needless destruction of long gun records, which prevents law enforcement from using this information to quickly identify the owners of crime guns,” Feuer wrote in his arguments for the bill. “Without these records, law enforcement must painstakingly trace recovered firearms from the manufacturer, through the distributor, to the firearms dealer who sold the weapon.”

Opponents of the bill argue it will only make it harder for law-abiding gun owners to sell or transfer guns, will make them more expensive and will create more costs and hassles for gun dealers.....

http://www.redding.com/news/2010/jun/04/assembly-advances-gun-bills-i-doubt-very-this-is/.

That state is nothing short of completely fubar-ed. Why don't lawmakers spend some time balancing the budget instead of screwing with law abiding citizens?

given the nuts in the state and their congressional i would almost bet that confiscation is on the distant
horizon.
but then again that could change come Nov. 2nd

They've done it before. Back when they passed their first version of the AWB, written as one might expect by people whose knowledge of firearms is closely rivaled by my knowledge of Hungarian poetry, there was a lot of confusion as to whether certain guns were allowed under the ban. The AG decided that they were if they were properly registered, giving people an extension of the registration deadline to compensate for the delay in determining that they needed to be registered. About a year later, the courts decided that the AG didn't have the authority to extend the registration period, and sent everybody who had registered their guns a notice that they'd have to turn them in. Massachusetts sucks major league, but I'm still glad I'm out of that loony bin.

Ken

Whenever gun laws are cranking up, cranked up it is to help police solve crimes. In this case "LONG" "crime guns" will have been registered (yeah, right), and the police will quickly make an arrest.

but no one has done an efficacy study on the existing laws. Seems that all hand guns are registered in CA. How many "crime guns" are found at scenes where the registration thereof has solved a crime? Sure, they bust some drug dealer, and find a "crime gun" -- but they already have the drug dealer, and the the presence of a registered gun contributes nothing to the arrest.

And I call BS on “Without these records, law enforcement must painstakingly trace recovered firearms from the manufacturer, through the distributor, to the firearms dealer who sold the weapon.” All LE does is call the ATF, and they call back later with the answer.

Back
Top Bottom