C&R Transfer of 1919 Pistol

A friend had a 1903 Colt .380 made in 1918. It's been in the family but he's not really a gun guy and going through a divorce. He lives in CT and wants to sell the thing to me as he needs the money and has no use for the gun. I have a valid C&R Type 03 FFL. I can simply sign that into my bound book, correct?

Anyway, anyone got an answer for that one?

As far as the Feds are concerned all you need is to enter it in your bound book and give him a signed copy of your C&R FFL.

What you need to research is "what are the CT requirements for transfer of a handgun". I can't answer it as I haven't lived in CT for >30 years and didn't own any guns when I did live there.

Well, for contemporary guns in CT (Pistols) you have to fill out a transfer form, call for a transfer number, etc. But for a C&R I don't know. All the C&R's I've done since I've had it were from dealers who do C&R transfers, no personal C&R.

Check with your state org and/or the authorities that you get the transfer number for on contemporary guns.

An alternative could be to find/read the CT statutes and any Code of Regulations they published on the process of gun transfers to make that determination.

Good luck and post back what you find out so others can benefit from your search.

IMHO: I do not believe that the State of CT recognizes C&R license except in one statute (that does not apply in this case); either you are a dealer or you are not a dealer. If the gun is made after 1898, you have to go through the regular process of auth. #, DPS-3s, and DPS-67-C. Disappointing to me, but that’s how I personally read the law.

That is incorrect.

You can buy C&R arms including handguns through the mail with a C&R if you live in CT. Some dealers are hesitant to sell handguns to CT on a C&R FFL, but there is nothing illegal about it. I can't remember are the forms required. Its been a long time since I've done it. (That Nagant revolver I bought from AimSurplus isn't exactly a shooter)

Don

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought we were talking about a face to face sale in CT.

You read it right. I had it wrong.
In the case of a face to face xfer within the same state I wouldn't even bring the C&R into play. I'd just do it like any other handgun transfer.
The record retention requirements are much less for a personal transfer than for a C&R transfer. (No bound book, no requirements for retention beyond 5 years for the buyer)

Don
p.s. CT law requires that even if the person receiving a C&R handgun has a C&R FFL, they still need a CT pistol permit or Eligibility Certificate.

You read it right. I had it wrong.
In the case of a face to face xfer within the same state I wouldn't even bring the C&R into play. I'd just do it like any other handgun transfer.
The record retention requirements are much less for a personal transfer than for a C&R transfer. (No bound book, no requirements for retention beyond 5 years for the buyer)
Don
p.s. CT law requires that even if the person receiving a C&R handgun has a C&R FFL, they still need a CT pistol permit or Eligibility Certificate.

Please realize that if the purchaser has a C&R FFL AND the gun is a C&R, Federal Regs REQUIRE it to be logged in the BB. Doesn't matter if you bought it with the C&R or not!

Now back to the CT-specific issues, of which I have no knowledge . . .

The seller does not have a C&R so you will have to call this in and get an approval from the state.

CT GS 29-33

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/connecticut/ct-laws/connecticut_statutes_29-33

(c) No person, firm or corporation shall sell, deliver or otherwise transfer any pistol or revolver except upon written application on a form prescribed and furnished by the Commissioner of Public Safety. Such person, firm or corporation shall insure that all questions on the application are answered properly prior to releasing the pistol or revolver and shall retain the application, which shall be attached to the federal sale or transfer document, for at least twenty years or until such vendor goes out of business. Such application shall be available for inspection during normal business hours by law enforcement officials. No sale, delivery or other transfer of any pistol or revolver shall be made unless the person making the purchase or to whom the same is delivered or transferred is personally known to the person selling such pistol or revolver or making delivery or transfer thereof or provides evidence of his identity in the form of a motor vehicle operator's license, identity card issued pursuant to section 1-1h or valid passport. No sale, delivery or other transfer of any pistol or revolver shall be made until the person, firm or corporation making such transfer obtains an authorization number from the Commissioner of Public Safety. Said commissioner shall perform the national instant criminal background check and make a reasonable effort to determine whether there is any reason that would prohibit such applicant from possessing a pistol or revolver as provided in section 53a-217c. If the commissioner determines the existence of such a reason, the commissioner shall deny the sale and no pistol or revolver shall be sold, delivered or otherwise transferred by such person, firm or corporation to such applicant.

Back
Top Bottom