C&R Pistol Transfer in CT

I recently noted that there appears to be an issue with the transfer of C&R classified pistols and revolvers with a federal class 03 C&R license. I have read several posts on various boards and there seems to be some confusion as to the legality. I also noticed that some vendors will ship to CT and some will not.

I dug a little deeper and found that CT strictly regulates the transfer of ALL pistols and revolvers according to Chapter 529, Sec 29-33 with only two apparent exemptions. Those exemptions are:

1. - Antiques manufacture prior to 1898 and specific replica pistols and revolvers

2. - Federal license holders. (The specific language does not included 03 C&R holders)

Here is the exact language of the statue citing exemption:

(g) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the sale, delivery or transfer of pistols or revolvers between (1) a federally-licensed firearm manufacturer and a federally-licensed firearm dealer, (2) a federally-licensed firearm importer and a federally-licensed firearm dealer, or (3) federally-licensed firearm dealers.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who might know why the 03 C&R license was excluded from the exemption. Was this done on purpose, or was this an oversight on the part of legislators? A C&R applicant, other than zoning restrictions, is held to the same standards as the 01 and 07 licensees. Logic would dictate that the 03 would be exempted as well.

I am also interested in finding out if there is any support among the 03 C&R holders in the state to attempt to petition our legislators to add a federal 03 classification to the exemption.

Last edited:
this would be interesting as C&R holders in mass have the same problems. Like to see where you get with this. I called my local ATF branch and did not really get anywhere except that on the federal level you are ok as long as you follow the fed regs, BUT was told that any and all state laws must also be followed.
I cant find the link right now but from memory the 1998 hand gun laws seemed to be isolated to Massachusetts Federal licensed dealer and what they could and could not sell to a mass license LTC A/B holder for handguns. There are no provisions for a C&R holder that I could find other than being bonified collector when applying for a Machine gun license in massachusetts. funny thing is they want proof of instate status of pre 1998 hand guns? good luck

I apologize as another member posted a thread about this very issue on January 28th.

A bill has been proposed which needs the support of every gun owner within this state. The bill is no. 547 which can modify the exemption status for federal class 03 C&R license holders and modify the definition of "assault weapon" to exclude "select fire"

I cannot stress enough how important these two changes could be. Gun owners and enthusiasts are always seemingly on the defense of more anti-gun legislation such as the proposed high-cap mag ban. Lets get on the offense and take back some ground. We can whittle a little bit at a time just like the Brady bunch.

I would love to wake up tomorrow morning and find 1000 reply's to this thread. Am I dreaming or is there support to take back our freedoms?

Back
Top Bottom