C&R handguns to massachusetts

mac1911

NES Member
I have been cruising several C&R dealers web sites and have found many that say no hand guns to massachusetts. Allthough it is not stateing C&R handguns. Anyone with any back ground on this?

MA restricts which handguns may be sold through dealers in MA. Some out-of-state dealers just refuse to sell & ship in MA rather than try to figure out which handguns may and may not be allowed. As I understand it there are also some dealers that have signed court consent decrees prohibiting their sale of any gun-related items in MA as a result of the AG's mail-order ammo backmail scheme.

hmmm, interesting but as dealer I could have in my possesion a non aproved handgun, I just cant sell it. Im wondering.....This seems to apply to new handguns sales through a dealer or transfered through a dealer. I know from a estate issue if I transfer guns through a gun dealer, I would loose ownership of some because of the AGs list? BUT if transfered private it is ok?

You can't transfer handguns privately across state lines, that's a violation of federal law. C&R holders may acquire C&R handguns outside the state.

You're not a dealer.

so a 03 c&r ffl could go to nh or ktp and legally buy a 50 year old or older say colt 1911 and that would be ok to bring back to ma?

Yes, if the seller is willing to sell it to an MA resident (perfectly legal, but some of them don't know that)

I have been cruising several C&R dealers web sites and have found many that say no hand guns to massachusetts. Allthough it is not stateing C&R handguns. Anyone with any back ground on this?

FFLs can not sell any guns to anybody who is not allowed to possess them in their state, or risk losing their license. So they have a choice- memorize all the weird and confusing variations of the laws of all our 'non-free' states, or just identify the states who have Byzantine laws and put up a "no sales to state XX' notice.

I know which I would choose if I was an FFL dealer...

so a 03 c&r ffl could go to nh or ktp and legally buy a 50 year old or older say colt 1911 and that would be ok to bring back to ma?

Yep, not only can it be done but has been done personally by myself and many others. Stupidly, however, NH or ME C&R FFLs cannot come here to MA and do the same, because of our stupid state laws.

To take it one step further, the 03 FFL could simply sign a copy of the license and mail it to the individual seller, who could then ship it directly to the licensee.

Ken

OK, so how does the MA AGs aproved roster come into play when i purchase a C&R handgun? Also do you fill out a FA 10 when you recieve C&R firearms?

So if one were to get a C&R license, buy some guns with it there is no reporting requirement to the state of Massachusetts? The only requirement is an entry in the bound book?

If that is true, and the C&R license expires, I believe I read that there is no requirement to keep the bound book. Is this also correct?

Assuming both of the above are correct, would that mean an individual would be in possession of guns in this state without any legal record?

Just thinking out loud here.

Rich

p.s. us computer guys are always looking to poke holes in systems or algorithms...

Last edited:
So if one were to get a C&R book, buy some guns with it there is no reporting requirement to the state of Massachusetts? The only requirement is an entry in the bound book?

No, you have to do both. Enter the acquisition into your bound book to satisfy federal requirements, and fill out an FA-10 to satisfy state requirements.

richc said:
If that is true, and the C&R license expires, I believe I read that there is no requirement to keep the bound book. Is this also correct?

All federal licensees must keep their bound book records for 20 years. However, once a collector is no longer licensed, there are no requirements to turn in their bound book records. Therefor, you may keep or dispose of them as you see fit once your license expires.

richc said:
Assuming both of the above are correct, would that mean an individual would be in possession of guns in this state without any legal record?

No, sorry, no loophole to be found there.

Damn... thanks Jdubois... you can't blame a fella for trying!

[grin]

Rich

P.S. Jdubois, Kmaurer and others... I really enjoy and learn from your wisdom and experience. Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise on these complicated matters... Rich

Where does this compulsion to add on to people's posts that which has already been said, come from? It's really annoying and it just reminds everyone what a child you are.

Because what you said in that other thread is not 100% correct. The lower is forged by CMT but a forged lower is not nearly complete. Until it's machined by the end-manufacturer, it's just a hunk of metal in the rough shape of a lower receiver. The final machining is done by S&W or perhaps a contractor. It is the finishing/machining process that makes a lower different from others, not the forge.

As for here, your statement makes it potentially confusing to a reader who reads the thread and only sees your post at the top of the page. It doesn't even answer the question you quoted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom