C&R application question

New to NES and have a quick question about applying for a C&R license.

The town that I live in currently does not have a permanent police chief. I have spent months waiting to submit my C&R forms because the town hasn't replaced the previous chief yet. Could I substitute the non-existent police chief with the firearms licensing officer instead?

Just tired of waiting for the town to make up their damn minds......

You do not need Chiefs approval. You are only required to send notification. Fill out app. send copy to PD addressed to COP. Notification done. Send app to FEDS and in about 6 weeks you should be good to go.

i would just address the letter and Chief of Police and send it via certified mail that way you will have proof you sent it

Not required. I just drop it off with the dispatcher (sealed envelope addressed to the chief) on my way to the USPO every time (since 1999).

There has to be an "acting chief", find out who that is (call PD, town clerk, look at PD website, etc.) and address it to him/her. The copy to BATFE MUST have a real name on it and it is NOT the licensing officer (unless he/she is acting chief).

1. The C&R doesn't need to be approved by the chief, he just needs to be informed.
2. According to your town's Police Staff Directory, the Chief is Keith F. Edison.
3. If Chief Edison is no longer Chief, I would contact the Administrative Assistant and ask who the acting chief is. You could also probably check in with the town clerk/town hall/town HR department since whoever is acting as chief is getting a paycheck. The few times I've tried to get in touch with a chief of police, I went through the AA.

http://www.millispolice.org/staff-directory

Thanks for all the advice! I will be contacting the town administrators and/or police station to confirm who to actually give this to.

Back
Top Bottom