C&R Application Question....

Ok, maybe I'm over analyzing it because I don't want to screw it up and have it rejected...but do I leave all of question 10 blank?? Nonimmigrant Alien Certification of Complaince With 18 U.S.C. 922... (A, B, and C) Or do I answer C so they get a copy of my LTC?

I tried searching for an answer to this...looks like I'm the first one needing to ask this. So I'm giving myself a pre-emptive "L" [thinking]

not sure of your specific question - but I can add that I miffed my application and here is what happened -

I actually checked somewhere that I am an illegal alien, or something similar - something so clearly out of whack with respect to the rest of my application that I got a call from a very nice woman who was processing my application and was looking for clarification. As it turns out, whatever mistake I made was common enough that they look for it. They sent me back my original application, I struck through my mistake, initial and dated the application and sent it back. I called back 4 days later, spoke to the same woman who said I was all good. Got my C&R a few weeks later.

My point is nothing too bad should happen if you miff one of the check boxes - as the BAFTE woman told me, these forms are complicated/misleading.

ETA: when the BAFTE called to check my application - they ended up leaving me a message at home. I did $hit marble for a day until I called them back and got a hold of someone. Generally, if you dont know what they are asking you for (like a nonimmigrant alien card) then you arent it/dont have it. Also, if you are very stuck - call the BAFTE BEFORE you submit your app - they will help you over the phone.

Last edited:
If you are a US citizen leave it blank. I forgot to put my SS# on question 9, they mailed it back to me, I put my SS# on the form mailed it back and received my C&R in 3 weeks total turn around time. So if I filled it out correctly it would have take 2 weeks.

HAHA...I would not want a message from them either!

So you guys didn't have to send in a copy or your license? I think that's the only place that if I check a yes to having a hunting license or permit, then I have to attach a copy - it's under that Nonimmigrant Alien section. If I leave that section blank, then there's no where that asks me about having a firearms license of any kind. Which I think is kind of weird! Like I said, I knew it was a stretch.

I got this a couple of months ago and have had it sitting on my desk. Just want to get it mailed off [smile]

Thanks!

your posession of an FID/LTC is AFAIK, irrelevant to the C&R license [from the Federal point of view - in the PRM you still need them! ] - after all, most states don't have them.

THe only "local" involvement is that you are supposed to send a copy (so marked) to your local CLEO, so if you're a real dirtbag, they can give BATFE a heads-up. My C&R expired ( they didn't send my renewal stuff, and I was not pro-active enough) so instead of a renewal, I had to do a "New" ap. Not a problem.

The vibe I get (from the limited dealings I've had) is that they're not too hard-nosed WRT C&R people - the majority of the C&R ATF people seemed to be "gun people".

IANAL, etc....

Last edited:
I forgot to put my SS# on question 9, they mailed it back to me, I put my SS# on the form mailed it back and received my C&R in 3 weeks total turn around time. So if I filled it out correctly it would have take 2 weeks.

Really??

SSN is NOT required (unless they changed the rules again in the past 2 years). I've had my C&R since 1999 and NEVER supplied my SSN, nor would I do so. They have never bounced my app back on me or queried me in any way about it.

So what is the definitio of the CLEO 'in my area'? Do they mean the Chief of Police in my town, the Attorney General of the state, or someone in between.

Sorry for the dumb question.

Really??

SSN is NOT required (unless they changed the rules again in the past 2 years). I've had my C&R since 1999 and NEVER supplied my SSN, nor would I do so. They have never bounced my app back on me or queried me in any way about it.

FYI, under section 9 it states "Each responsible person must complete all information in this section." Sec. 9 asks for SS#. BUT! The fine print on the back states it is voluntary under 18 U.S.C. 923(a).

So what is the definitio of the CLEO 'in my area'? Do they mean the Chief of Police in my town, the Attorney General of the state, or someone in between.

Sorry for the dumb question.

Could be the Chief of Police, Detectives Chief, Superintendent, Commandant, Grand Pooba... Titles abound, but they are all considered the CLEO of your local municipality. Try calling your PD and ask.

FYI, under section 9 it states "Each responsible person must complete all information in this section." Sec. 9 asks for SS#. BUT! The fine print on the back states it is voluntary under 18 U.S.C. 923(a).

Every government document has that disclaimer, but it usually lists the consequence of not providing it as well.

Every government document has that disclaimer, but it usually lists the consequence of not providing it as well.

[rofl] [laugh2]

Yes, they come and shoot your dog! [laugh]

Fed Law makes it option and REQUIRES the disclaimers (specific info), thus you will find it on non-tax related Fed forms.

MA ignores this totally as it ignores the Constitution and most Fed Laws that it doesn't like, so you almost never will see any disclaimers.

Seriously, if you feel that they will deny your C&R w/o the SSN, you might as well have it tattooed on your forehead . . . as everyone asks for it for everything, but damn few actually "need" it or even have a plausible reason for asking for it.

Could be the Chief of Police, Detectives Chief, Superintendent, Commandant, Grand Pooba... Titles abound, but they are all considered the CLEO of your local municipality. Try calling your PD and ask.

Or you can take the simple approach that works every time of simply dropping it off at your local police station in an envelope addressed to the Chief of Police. That's absolutely all that the feds require of you, and your local PD has no input into the process unless there's some active warrant out for you.

Ken

Really??

Yep they bounced it back to me with a letter saying if I did not return the application with corrections within 30 days they would consider it a dead deal and return the fee.

Yep they bounced it back to me with a letter saying if I did not return the application with corrections within 30 days they would consider it a dead deal and return the fee.

Yu must have left the space blank. I either write "Refused 5 USC 552a" or draw a line thru that space, making it obvious that I didn't skip anything. Never had one bounce back on me.

It was the first time I applied, the section in the question says Position and Social Security number. I filled it in, Collector. I'll have to remember the Refused 5 USC 552a. Thanks for the tip.

Calling the local PD is generally the last thing I do when trying to clarify what a particular law/legal requirement means.

I find this forum to be a vastly superior source of reliable info than calls to the random OD at the cop shop.

Back
Top Bottom