C&R Age Question

So how does the ATF count the 50 years?

If something was made say July-September of 1965, do they count it as C&R based off of 50 calendar years as in right now it is 2015 and 2015-1965 = 50? Or does it have to be to the same month so therefore it's not C&R?

I'm trying to determine if this belongs in my bound book [thinking]

Firearms manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date qualify as C&R. Yes, it's the exact date. Something made in July 1965 is not a C&R yet.

I believe there are exceptions though if its low production/rare, hence the "curio" designation.

It's a Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe with serial number prefix 148xxxx which makes it fall between the year of 1964 and 1965 according to this data. And this merry year being 2015 makes 1965 fall into the big 50!

And they publish the list of "collectibles". You should have gotten it with your kit. It can also be found on-line.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. These are a few of my favorite things! [grin]

But the book doesn't help with the guns aging into 50. They don't update everything. The problem is there's production of this particular revolver that's younger AND older than 50 as of right now. I can only pinpoint my revolver to 1964 OR 1965 and depending on how they count the 50 years it changes whether or not it is 50 right now. By December of 2015 this revolver will be 50 without question but we are here now in Janurary

But the book doesn't help with the guns aging into 50. They don't update everything. The problem is there's production of this particular revolver that's younger AND older than 50 as of right now. I can only pinpoint my revolver to 1964 OR 1965 and depending on how they count the 50 years it changes whether or not it is 50 right now. By December of 2015 this revolver will be 50 without question but we are here now in Janurary

It is DOB by S/N of that particular gun. So in some cases you can query the mfr to actual DOB or otherwise you'll have to wait out until Jan 1 2016 to be certain.

Back
Top Bottom