byf43 Mauser bring back Range report/Repair failure

sorry for the spelling issue. a biscuit in it's truest sense is a football shaped hardwood 'disc' that is normally glued into a corresponding football shaped cut. You could just cut slots into the areas to be joined and glue wood strips into them, in affect a flat biscuit. There's probably another real name for it.

There are machines that cut biscuit slots for the real things. They can be adjusted for depth and width depending on what you're joining.

I've got one hand have used it very successfully in several furniture making projects I've done.

You're in Plymouth, I work in Plymouth, if you want to borrow it.

You should use an epoxy made for the purpose. Brownells has a few. I have used their bedding epoxy a few times for cracks. Where it is a straight across cut you need to either dowel it or stitch it with wood. Or aluminum. (kind of like a butterfly bandage but with wood, you inset the repair into the stock. ) with all the glues you have tried already you will need to strip it down to bare wood to get any future repair to hold.

Looking over the pics I think I would make an aluminum insert to go inside the stock near the barrel. inset the repair so the barrel will not touch, and extend it out an inch to either side of the cut. make it the butterfly shape, and then glue it together with brownells stock epoxy.

I can see if I can make a picture to explain better if needed.

Last edited:
I hereby swallow my pride. Is there a local member (SE Mass.) who has done this before and would be willing to share their experience and work on this project with me?[cheers] I of course would pay for the material cost and you would provide the experience. I really hate to see it in two pieces, and am not keen on butchering it further unless I need to.

MajSpud.

Slowly gathering parts for the third attempt. Today I got some Gorilla super glue and epoxy. I also got 10 inches of 6/32 brass threaded rod, and still need to find 1/4" ID brass tubing; maybe a plumbing supply shop. Once cleaned and removed back to bare wood, I plan to double the length of the supports and glue them into the small piece with the super glue, and then into the base, with the epoxy in the middle.

MS

Back
Top Bottom