Bushy Tails

Today was a bust. I heard tons of em in the trees around me, but couldn't get eyes on any.

Still a good day out in the woods though!

Today was a bust. I heard tons of em in the trees around me, but couldn't get eyes on any.

Still a good day out in the woods though!

Same here. Although I was out for bear. Seems their activity goes up as the winds die, and it only takes about 10 minutes for them to resume activity after passing through their territory. They're barking outside my window now...

squirrel.jpg

Got one today

You should be fine with the proper choke and a #7. Later in the season, with fewer leaves and you can move up to to the bigger, #4 or 5 shot. You should be fine.

I'd still like to know if anybody is willing to share some areas with me out west, it'd be nice to get my Marlin 60 out in to the woods. I'll search the interwebz in the mean time.

You should be fine with the proper choke and a #7. Later in the season, with fewer leaves and you can move up to to the bigger, #4 or 5 shot. You should be fine.

I think I have the original barrel around somewhere, maybe 28"? I'll pop that on and give it a go.

I'd still like to know if anybody is willing to share some areas with me out west, it'd be nice to get my Marlin 60 out in to the woods. I'll search the interwebz in the mean time.

I haven't been out for squirrel yet, but if you're looking for places to hunt, you can start here http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/hunting.htm

you can also hunt on any Wildlife managment areas. http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/wma/wma_maps.htm

I'm sure this isn't news to you, but it's all the help i can offer at the moment.

Mossy 500, 12 gauge with an 18" barrel and Knoxx SpecOps stock, brass bead front sight.

My hunting shotgun is an 870 18" with a Mesa Tactical AR stock/grip adapter on it, and a bead front sight.

Depending on how thick the cover is, you should be fine with #6 or 7 shot. You might have a problem if one pops out a few feet in front of you, but that's about it.

My hunting shotgun is an 870 18" with a Mesa Tactical AR stock/grip adapter on it, and a bead front sight.

Depending on how thick the cover is, you should be fine with #6 or 7 shot. You might have a problem if one pops out a few feet in front of you, but that's about it.

Sounds good, thanks atmay. I'll check out the maps for something local and head out with my Mossberg in October.

Where in the state are you? I might be willing to check out a few spots with you if you aren't too far away.

Same here. I'm taking the week off starting October 18th to do some scouting and hopefully take down some grays with my 10/22 at Leominster State Forest and LSA. Let me know if you're interested.

Same here. I'm taking the week off starting October 18th to do some scouting and hopefully take down some grays with my 10/22 at Leominster State Forest and LSA. Let me know if you're interested.

I'm down.

Also, daddysuperfly and I went out to Moose Hill this morning....we saw a few, heard a bunch, and shot 0 [sad]

Early season I use my .22 rifle, until bird season starts then I switch to 20 ga w/ #6. Right now lots of leaves still so shotgun is better, but I like the challenge of trying to take one w/ .22 rifle.

bringing this thread back from the dead,

anyone have any luck in southeastern MA? i have a ton on my parents property, but i also have spotted a 6 point buck and my brother saw a 10 pointer. so i'm going to try to keep from excessive travel and noise making like squirrel hunting.

i was going to check out some local WMAs and a WCE in mattapoisett. ma i can't wait to get some tree rats!

happy hunting everyone. season opens for zone 11 tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom