Bullet weight for my AR

Fixxah

NES Member
Anybody have experience with a 24" 1in7 twist barrel on an AR? What I am interested in is the best weight bullet for my reloads. I know it will mostly be determined by the gun but I figured that I might get a heads up from someone who's already been there. Thanks in advance.

John

Just adjust your powder/charge to the weight of the bullet you'd like to use.
Out of my 1x7 Kreiger barrel...........
53 or 52 SMK-20.5 of H4198 or 21.0 of Reloder 7
55 SGK- 20.5 "" "" or 25.5 W748
69SMK - 23.8 AA2460, 23.5 Re-15, 24.0 Varget
77SMK - 23.5 Re-15
80SMK - 24.0 " "
LC brass, Rem 71/2 or CCI400, all OAL (except 80SMK) is 2.260.

I've found you can shoot light bullets from a 1x7 barrel very well out to 200 yds.
All these loads/bullets will shoot MOA or under out of my AR15.

My 1in7 will shoot both 55gr and 69gr with good accuracy, but shows a definite preference for the 69gr.

In factory ammo, I have found the 69gr Federal Gold Medal gives excellent accuracy, but it is pricey. [shocked]

I am still in the process of working up test loads but probably won't finish my testing until we get some warm weather. Sitting at a bench rest in cold weather doesn't agree with me. [grin]

I think it would mostly depend on the application. I think you are better off looking for a best bullet for _______ , that will work with a 1/7. It's mostly better to use heavier, higher BC projectiles for longer ranges but again, it all depends on the application. Shooting P.dogs is different that match shooting and that is different that recreational paper punching.

As mentioned before, it should shoot accurately with most bullet weights.

B

Depends on your accuracy expectations and how far you're shooting.

If you're keeping it under 100 yards, there's no reason to use anything more than a cheap 55gr bullet.

If you're shooting longer distances, heavier bullets will fare better - many seem to like 69gr. But you'll notice the heavier bullets are more expensive.

I found a lot of well priced 62gr bullets, which seem to work well for me at all distances.

One of my uppers is A 1/7 krieger 24" depending on the yardage im shooting i use anything from 69gr to 90gr I use sierra MK69,77,80,90, hornady A-max/bthp(mch)68,75,80 ,nosler custom comp69,77,80, lapua Scenar70.The bulets I seat close to the lands they all differ, you just have to see what your barrel likes the best charge and OAL any of those I named will shoot great but if your looking to be consistent with small groups that's work nobody can tell you, you have to do your homework. At 100yds I personally think its pointless shooting heavier than A 69gr bullet, your (rifle) can shoot under 1/4minute consistently if you find the right load. The reason I use all these bullets is because I just started loading A few months ago and each one of my AR's likes something differant along with all the variations and variables.

7MM-08 IN NH

Try bullets from Sierra starting at 68 grains up to 80. I use winchester 748 and IMR-4895. I have had great groups from both. If you see some 90 grainers try them too.The 24'' barrel will give you more velocity.

Front Sight and Focus

Back
Top Bottom