Bullet weight and powder for 6mm-284

I just received my new project back from my smith, H&R ultra varmint fluted w/ 24" barrel rechambered from .243 to 6mm-284. I am wondering how heavy a bullet will stabilize in the 1 in 10 twist, and also any powders that may be a good place to start. I will use this primarily for target shooting from 100 to 300 yards and also may see some use on deer this fall, so any suggestions on good hunting and target bullets would be great. I never fired the gun in 243 and have no experience reloading 6mm. I know with the near infinite knowledge on this site someone should be able to give me a good starting point, so as I don't end up with a bunch of components I don't need. Also, if you could give some suggestions on loading dies and what brass to use that would be awesome. I don't need benchrest quality stuff, just good usable stuff that wont break the bank. Does Winchester still make 284 brass, or am I stuck with Lapua or Norma? Thanks for any info that may point me in the right direction!

One last thing, would it be possible to modify a .243 Lee collet die to work with the 6mm-284? Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have been looking at some different bullet options for white tail. I was thinking of trying the Nosler 95gr combined technology or the ballistic tip, or would I be better off with the Partition which comes in 85, 95 and 100gr weights. I have never used a 6mm for deer,and I am concerned that the ballistic tip that light wont be tough enough. And also will they stabilize in the 1:10 twist. And depending on how heavy of a bullet will stabilize, I was thinking of the A-Max for targets. Any other suggestions are appreciated, along with opinions on my original question. Thanks

If you go to JBM Ballistics, he has a calculator for the Miller Stability Formula. What you really want is the bullet length. He also has a link with a huge percentage of bullet lengths. According to the calculator, the Nosler Combined Technology is marginal out of a 10 twist at 3200 fps. You can probably go a lot faster than that, but it only has a marginal increase on stability.

B

6-284 is a wildcat. There is no brass that I am aware of. You will need to use 6.5-284. Hornady is likely the best value if you can call it that at 1.00 each. Can't help you with dies, I do like redding comp dies but they are not cheap. Rl-22 should work well for you. 1-10 is pretty slow that class of match bullets 1-8 is better. How did you decide on 6-284? Most people shooting 6-284 know how to get there if you know what I mean. Who recommended it? Barrel life is going to be a factor as is cost for components. 6-284 is a 1000 yard bench rest gun, not the best option for deer and 300 yard target shooting.

According to Donnelly's book Cartridge Conversions 87 gr bullet behind 50 gr 3031 powder no mention of the type of primer. Though it does mention a source for the loading data Hornandy Manual 3. My copy of this book is at least 25 yrs old. Have you tried Googling 6mm/284?

How I got there, well my buddy was short on rent and was selling the gun for $150, and my other buddy has a lathe and has been doing this gunsmith thing on the side for a little while. He had a no-turn-neck reamer on rental for another job he did, I looked up the round in my loading manual and saw that it cooked along pretty good. My friend also said that while the 1:10 twist isn't optimal for the caliber, it should work with the lighter 6mm bullets ok. I ran the 85 and 100 grain Nosler partition and ballistic tip through a stability calculator and it says they should work. Even if it sucks out loud, I can get another barrel for $100, so it's not a huge gamble. I also read that barrel life is low, around 1000 to 1500 rounds, but to me thats a lot of shootin! I know I have to form brass from either .284 or 6.5-284, but I don't need tons of it. 25-50 should do me for a while. I also talked to my gunsmith earlier today, and he told me that if dies are a problem we can rent a die reamer and cut one from a die blank or cut one from a 243 full length die. I just like to have different stuff, and I don't know anybody with a 6-284. I figured a .243 will kill deer, so why not a more potent 6mm? If I can get one of the 85-100 grain partitions to group decent, I'd say I've got it! And I don't plan on doing Benchrest with it, so even moa accuracy is fine with me. H&R's usually shoot half decent, so I'm hoping this one does too. Lots of todays varmint rounds started as benchrest rounds, and a few new rounds like the 7mm wsm do double duty as hunting and 1000 meter rounds. If it has the power and is accurate, why can't I use a benchrest round for deer? Not the best choice, but fun and different!

I know most people who buy a 6-284 know what they need and how to get there, but I'm sure with a little trial and error and some help from you guys I'll figure it out! I had a chance to have something different and jumped on it. I know brass and dies will be expensive, but if I get 10 reloads out of 100 pieces of brass thats 1000 rounds. By then the barrel will be toast and I can sell the dies and anything else that goes with it and maybe recoup a little. Thanks for any info! It's all appreciated!

Thanks for the support. I have been looking at 6mmbr.com and found they have a lot of info on the 6.5-284, is any of the load data or powder selection able to be cross referenced? Also, if anyone knows where I might be able to find used benchrest equipment, such as dies, brass and other accessories applicable to this round?

If anyone uses a 6mm (.243-.240 weatherby) to hunt deer, could you give me some suggestions on bullets? I am worried the Nosler BT will break up if it hits bone at the velocity this round is capable of. Also, I am worried the Partition will not expand effectively and just drive on through like a FMJ would.

I am new to the 6mm, as I have always used a 30-06 with 165-180gr Nosler BT's. The 6mm is much smaller and I want to be sure I choose the right bullet for the job, so I don't just wound deer. The 30-06 was easy,just behind the front shoulder and they go down, period. I don't have the same confidence in the 6mm, as it is smaller and isn't going to pack the same punch. That is why I want to be sure I have the right bullet, to anchor 'em on the spot and not have a bullet failure.

Thanks for any help. I bit off a lot on this one, so any info is greatly appreciated!

You may have better luck asking over at longrangehunting.com. Powders for 6.5-284 should work but you are own you own for load data. Good luck finding brass I would form my own. Bullet placement is going to be key. I would only use the heaviest bonded bullets like the Nosler Partition or Trophy bonded bear claw

Thanks for the link and the bullet suggestion. I'm going to have get my buddy's chronograph once I get some rounds loaded so I can how fast they cook at. I have ordered 6-284 dies from Hornady, as they are good dies for only $98. I have also ordered 50 winchester 284 cases as well, only $35 from Cabela's. I am going to try the 85 and 100 grain partition and the 85 gr Amax. For powder I have decided to try H4831sc, as I can use it for both bullet weights, and 6mmbr.com recommends it as well. So far this project has only cost $300, and I should only be at $400 with bullets and powder. Now I need to figure out what I am going to run for optics. I think this is going to be fun once I get some lead downrange! I will post some pics and an accuracy report once I get everything together.

Back
Top Bottom