bullet pullers

Not to be a ball-buster but in my line of work with you showing a three place decimal, you would be out of tolerance.

10mm = .393 or .393700787etc

the fun with metrics may make you wonder why a 10mm bullet is .400 and not .3937 for the same reason the 30 caliber bullet is .308 . bullets fit the groves not the bore

thats from page 99 in the modern reloading 2nd edition richard lee

i do agree with you but i need a .400 or .4000 not a .3937

i have ordered the hornady puller but even on thier website i dont see a 10mm or .400 collet to use i guess ill have to look at other manufacturers for a 40S&W puller ill be calling hornady tomorrow

heres a link to hornady site at the bottom is the collets

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_se...&category_id=c6c7c1449a946bc5a0b884e132bd6b7a

Last edited:
He gave an incorrect mathematical expression. A 10mm = .40SW, but I thought it might be somewhat useful since people are throwing around other calibers such as .410 and .41 mag. Do the pullers come in the actual size? or do they round them off as well? Like I said, not trying to be a ball-buster, just trying to lend a hand.

i under stand what you are saying and im not sure if they round out but after i ordered the hornady i noticed that every other manufacturer has a .400 and hornady has a .410 when i look at the bullet charts and load data in my books they all say .410 = 41 mag so i guess they wouldnt work with a 40s&w so ill find out and post when i do

I use the RCBS collet puller as well. I have the 45,40,30 collets and use just these three to pull 3006 38spcl 45 acp 454 casull it may leave a mark if it is not the exact collet for the bullet being pulled. This odes not matter to me because I usually don't reuse the pulled bullet anyway.

hornady

I just got a Hornady with 2 collets, 9mm and 45. the set up was easy.,
and it seens to go along pretty good. I was pulling some 200gr.
LSWC and found i had to use the 9mm collet. Hey it works.
one good thing is the grease ring doesn't get loaded up with powder.

JimB

I use one of those hammer jobs with the adjustable ring thing in it.

It's not as elegant as a press mounted puller, but I look at it this way... it's a built in incentive to screw up less.

-Mike

I use one of those hammer jobs with the adjustable ring thing in it.

It's not as elegant as a press mounted puller, but I look at it this way... it's a built in incentive to screw up less.

-Mike

Same here. Plus when I screw up, everyone in the house knows. Sounds like a carpentry project gone horribly wrong.[smile]

Will the collet type puller distort the bullet? Just wondering.

I built one ~30 years ago out of pipe, washer and a pin (don't recall proper name of pin) from some info that was probably either told to me or in a magazine.

Never distorted any bullets I pulled, but it never got extensive use either.

I did use it with swaged lead, jacketed and JHP bullets.

Back
Top Bottom