Browning Sweet Sixteen Gold Trigger Made in Belgium Serial# S12###

GM-GUY

NES Member
My Father-in-Law gave me a shotgun today - as noted in Title. Me being me, the first thing I want to do is take it apart and clean all the bits and pieces.

I downloaded the Auto-5 manual from the Browning site, I just want to be sure this model has nothing squirrely with it - the kind of thing that sends a spring flying off to the far corner of the room.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A5s are pretty straightforward, though by the standards of more-modern guns, low tech no modular, drop-out trigger group, for instance.

Word of caution: the 16 ga MAY have a 2 9/16" chamber (short chamber) for European use - not good to shoot 2 3/4 inch shells! If the barrel is not clearly marked, get it checked out.

The action is a long-recoil type - the barrel recoils with the bolt. The speed of this is controlled by the position of the fiddly bits that hide under the fore end (your manual will explain it). Don't lube the magazine tube- the friction between the brass ring, and the mag tube is required.

Check the fore end for cracks, in some respects, it is part of the action.

There are not a huge number of springs to watch out for, the big one, the one in the stock, and a few others.

If you have the manual (the big one, 20+ pages, IIRC), you should be fine.

Added after reading post 3: I did take mine pretty much all the way down, but that was to replace a firing pin. Yeah, they run clean, as opposed to a gas-operated gun. Constant disassembly is not required, unless you want to do it for fun.

Last edited:
You clean these things?

I bought a 1950 version ten years ago. I did the detail strip once, and I think I was the first.
I love mine, I use it all season: pheasant first and then for deer. Shoots everything and carries well all day. You may find yourself neglecting the rest of your shotguns...the 16ga in the sweet 16 is shotgunning perfection.

I always clean as soon as I get a gun, when I got my new LaRue 308 AR it got a strip down and clean/lube.

This gun, from what I gather is from the 1930's based on serial number

Yes it's a 2 3/4" chamber - clearly marked on barrel.

Some surface rust on the spring and some surfaces inside, cleaned up nice with Birchwood -Casey Guns Scrubber and CLP. All back together and function check is good. Barrel looks bright shiny and new - other than being from the 30's.

Back
Top Bottom