Brothers 1972 Thompson Legal in Ct?

Ok Im confused, With all this pre-ban legal stuff I have been reading, Is a Thompson SBR built in 1972, never regestered cause it sat in the attic( Here in this great Gun Confused State) legal in CT? Any info would be helpful. I'd love to take it out and shoot it BUT, If its destiny is a safe queen then so be it. Oh Family gun,,dispsal is not really an option.[smile]

IIRC, I remember reading something about Connecticut law specifically prohibiting Tommyguns. You may want to discreetly speak with a Class III dealer about what to do with this "liability".

Posession of an SBR (rifle with a barrel less than 16") that is not registered with the ATF as an NFA firearm is a violation of federal law, even if it was made in 1972 and sat in the attic. If you are in possession and are not the registered owner it is bad news.
I suggest properly registering the firearm or you may find yourself in a heap of trouble some day.

Hi Whitey

I know the weapon was regestered in his name with the atf, but can he regester it in Ct.? I am aware its a class 3 rifle but now he wants to bring it to the range. I told him it was a big no-no but like i said, with all this Pre ban stuff I just not sure.

I think he's SOL. I know guns not registered before the cutoff date way back in the 90's can not be registered now. If caught with it he's looking at jail time and the gun destroyed.

I know the weapon was regestered in his name with the atf, but can he regester it in Ct.?

No. The deadline for registering 'assault weapons' in CT, which includes by name any "Auto Ordnance Thompson type" semi-automatic firearm, was July 1, 1994. His only choices are to render the gun permanently inoperable, sell it to an FFL, or get the gun out of state. Otherwise he is facing felony charges for possession. (Ch 943 Secs. 53-202a, 53-202c)

SBRs can still be legally registered, though I'm not sure how to navigate that if you already have an illegal one. If it's full auto and not currently registered, it's federal pound me in the ass prison illegal.

pjg,

I do not know about CT law and IANAL. But I do know you are dealing with more than "pre-ban" laws. You are dealing with federal NFA laws as well.

If it was properly registered he would have filled out special paper work and paid a $200 tax to ATF. He should actually have a tax stamp for it. A copy of this should remain with the firearm at all times - where ever it is stored and where ever it goes (ie to the range).

It is also a violation of federal law to transport an NFA firearm across state lines with out filling out the proper form and having it approved by ATF. So, if the gun was registered properly in another state then brought into CT with out doing the paperwork that is a big no-no.

You should really speak with an FFL who is licensed to handle these kinds of firearms ASAP to see what your options are. I do not know how you should proceed. I would also suggest that you do some reading.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/nfab/index.htm
You really do not want to mess around with this.

Last edited:
If the gun was registered in 1972 with ATF as an NFA weapon and your brother has said stamp I believe it is legal under federal law. My understanding is that a class 3 tax stamp is good for life unless revoked,if I'm not mistaken. Is this a full auto gun or simply a semi auto with a barrel of less than 16" long? I believe either way its legal under federal law if it was registered before 1986.

Now Connecticut state law may be another matter entirely I don't live there I don't know. If the gun was never registered then GET RID OF IT! If it was never legal before the cut off date it never will be. I hope I've been of some help to you.

The gun is legal with the FEDs but it should have been registered with CT in 94. Take it to Joel Cramer at Remarcable Arms in Wallingford, he is a class III manufacturer and can find a home for it out of state.

Back
Top Bottom