Brazen Street Crime - Local:

ccm75

NES Member
Although licensed to carry large cap./all lawful purpose, I rarely do. My CCW is usually limited to hikes in the woods with kids and business trips into unknown and unsavory urban territory.

This incident (See below - happening where I work and frequently travel) combined with a mid-day strong-arm, shotgun robbery 2 blocks from my office in Worcester early this summer, may cause me to change my habits. Your thoughts and comments?

Sunday, December 30, 2007
4-day crime spree ends in 3 arrests

By Edward J. Canty TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

WORCESTER— A four-day violent crime spree in which three armed men allegedly robbed five businesses and several people, and kidnapped a man and stole his car came to a halt yesterday when the men were arrested by police during a motor vehicle stop on Main Street, detectives said.

Raphael Rebollo, 21, 1165 West Boylston St.; Anthony J. Jackson, 19, of 14 Boardman St.; and Antonio M. Cox, 20, of 10 Lucian St., Apt.2, were each charged with three counts of armed robbery, armed carjacking and kidnapping, three counts of using a firearm during commission of a felony, and three counts of possession of a sawed-off shotgun, according to Detective Sgt. John W. Towns.

When asked if the three have criminal records, he said, “All are known to police.”

The sergeant said the crime spree, which began Wednesday, was investigated by Detective Daniel F. Sullivan and members of the detective bureau. The men allegedly committed numerous robberies while armed with a sawed-off double barrel shotgun and a pellet gun, and were often masked.

“The men received very little money for their efforts, netting no more than $100 from each of their robberies. As the robberies continued, the level of violence employed seemed to increase exponentially,” Sgt. Towns said.

He provided the following chronology of events:

At 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, two men with a sawed-off shotgun robbed the Cumberland Farms store at 216 Worcester Road, Grafton. Grafton police said the two robbed the store about a half hour before closing when the clerk was alone. They left with $50 and a pack of cigarettes.

At 12:36 a.m. Thursday, the Honey Farms store at 443 Park Ave. was robbed by two men. Both wore red bandanas and used a sawed-off shotgun and another firearm. The suspects fled with an unknown amount of cash.

At 10:34 p.m. Thursday, two masked men wearing red bandanas tried to enter the Mobil gas station at 185 Park Ave. A clerk had locked the door while he was restocking and the two were unable to gain entry. No weapons were seen.

At 1:28 a.m. Friday, two masked men with a handgun and sawed-off shotgun robbed the Honey Farms at 1073 Pleasant St., and fled with an unknown amount of cash.

At 3:36 a.m. Friday, the Honey Farms at 872 West Boylston St. was robbed by two masked men wearing red bandanas. A sawed-off shotgun and another firearm were used. The suspects fled with unknown amount of cash.

At about 1 a.m. Saturday, a man driving a green Ford Contour on Coburn Avenue was carjacked. He was taken to an undisclosed location, where he was bound and put inside the trunk of his car. The suspects then drove around with the victim in the trunk.

At 3:53 a.m. Saturday, several people were robbed in the vicinity of 30 Coes St. by several men armed with a firearm and sawed-off shotgun. The men wore red bandanas and were driving the Ford Contour with the carjacking victim still in the trunk. After the robberies, the victim was released and allowed to drive away.

At 4:18 a.m. Saturday, Worcester Polytechnic Institute police spotted the Ford. Worcester police Officer Jamie Powers and WPI police officers stopped the car and the carjacking victim told his story to police.

At 4:35 a.m. Saturday, an unidentified man sitting in a motor vehicle near 4 Gage St. was robbed by three men armed with a shotgun. They fled in a red Nissan Altima. The victim flagged down a police officer and reported the robbery.

At 4:58 a.m. Saturday, Police Officer Robert Molinari spotted and stopped the Nissan near 378 Main St. The three suspects were arrested and police recovered a shotgun from the rear seat area and a pellet gun from the passenger compartment. Officers Molinari, Raymond Binette, James Foley, Joseph Essex and Jeremy Smith helped with the arrest.

Police declined to elaborate on the motor vehicle stop that resulted in the arrests. Mr. Rebollo and Mr. Jackson were each held on $20,000 cash bail. Mr. Cox was held on $25,000 cash bail. The three are scheduled to be arraigned tomorrow in Central District Court.

If I knew when and where crime would strike, I would avoid being there. Since I don't know, I carry all the time and everywhere that I can get away with it.

Criminals DO travel, you know? There is no such thing as a safe part of town or a safe town.

Google "Carr brothers". They did what they did in a very "safe" part of town. I know, I lived there for nine years.

At 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, two men with a sawed-off shotgun robbed the Cumberland Farms store at 216 Worcester Road, Grafton. Grafton police said the two robbed the store about a half hour before closing when the clerk was alone. They left with $50 and a pack of cigarettes.

Wow! I stop at that convenience store several times a week on the way from work. Never at 11:30 at night but still. Grafton seems like a fairly decent town and this only goes to show you that no place is safe from the criminals. This is why I carry every time and place I am permitted to (and some where I am not [wink]).

It is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Although licensed to carry large cap./all lawful purpose, I rarely do. My CCW is usually limited to hikes in the woods with kids and business trips into unknown and unsavory urban territory.

I guess it really comes down to the inconvenience of regular CCW vs. the relative risk (as well as perceived risk) of being involved in a crime having a means of self-defense that could alter the outcome of that crime. It’s not a simple thing really. I know for myself, I find the inconvenience of CCW low and the (potential) benefits high, I have come to make CCW a regular part of my leaving the house almost without exceptions at this point. It’s a risk to benefit judgment that has to be made, and some of that involves your level of risk, and perceived risk.

I lived in Newton, which at the time was ranked the safest city in the US. I missed a friend and manager being shot twice at the fish store he worked by less than an hour and missed an armed robbery in Newton Centre at my bank by even less time. Take from that what you will….

Doesn't this seem a bit low for assault with a deadly weapon and kidnapping? I am always amazed at the low bails violent offenders get...

well....at less than $100 per robbery, 10 robberies....that 25k isprobably alot of money for them. id have to think that those with money to spare dont knock off quicky-marts.

every law abiding citzen should carry a gun to pretect themselves because no one else is responsible for your personal safty on the streets and for people that think that the police will protect them they got another thing coming.

every law abiding citzen should carry a gun to pretect themselves because no one else is responsible for your personal safty on the streets and for people that think that the police will protect them they got another thing coming.

Check with your local/state police department and ask them what their average response time is. Then imagine an incident where you need them NOW...then count down that response time. I can tell you that the few times I have called the cops (neighbors fist fighting in the street, some guy smashing his wife/gf head into his car and then tossing her into the passenger seat - I was too far away to help her, drunk drivers, etc) their response time was usually too late (neighbors were both still fighting so that doesn't count but the guy and his wife/gf drove off and most of the drunks pulled over for some reason on their own). Anyway, my point is that they do their job and then some but someone can't be where they need to be in an INSTANT. Travel from point A to point B takes time no matter who you are.

Also, watch the news...bad stuff happens everywhere any day!

Check with your local/state police department and ask them what their average response time is. Then imagine an incident where you need them NOW...then count down that response time. I can tell you that the few times I have called the cops (neighbors fist fighting in the street, some guy smashing his wife/gf head into his car and then tossing her into the passenger seat - I was too far away to help her, drunk drivers, etc) their response time was usually too late (neighbors were both still fighting so that doesn't count but the guy and his wife/gf drove off and most of the drunks pulled over for some reason on their own). Anyway, my point is that they do their job and then some but someone can't be where they need to be in an INSTANT. Travel from point A to point B takes time no matter who you are.

Also, watch the news...bad stuff happens everywhere any day!

i didnt mean cops didnt do there jobs ,but just they cant be everywhere at once and instantly. i totaly agree with you mike!!

Guys, concealed carry is only inconvenient only if you do not dress aappropriately and use good holsters and belts.

I spent all day doing errands and hanging in the backyard with the family unit and I wore a 4" K frame revovler in an OWB pancake. My cover garment was an untucked rugby jersey. I forgot I had the gun on about five minutes after I put it on and this thing weighs 2 1/2 pounds loaded.

Carry the most gun you can get away with and carry it everywhere you can get away with. The lives you save may be those of your loved ones.

For me, how to carry in a professional office environment and outside business call to peoples homes is the challenge/issue. I am often in a suit or sport coat and often for whatever reason - the jacket comes off -- and then its no longer CCW. As someone who has spent a great deal of time carrying firearms (hunting & military), CCW is comfortable to me, its maintaining the concealed carry that is the concern in our hand wringing, ultra-liberal environment.......

I guess the solution is to modify my habits and dress to make it possible. Another issue, and Im curious as to how others have dealt with this is..my kids. "Daddy has his gun on..." My kids (3) are all under the age of 8 and not much gets by them. If Im carrying they are more than likely going to know it. They are gun savy to an appropriate level for their age, but then, because kids are kids, you have them telling teachers, friends, bus drivers..."Daddy took his gun to the grocery store...." and all that goes along with that. Dont get me wrong, I am not looking for reasons not to carry, I am just looking for insight and suggestions on these issues - - which is what I enjoy most about this forum. [thinking][

My brother in-law has kids one 9 one 6 one 4 one 2 and they know that he has his gun on 24/7. He told them that it is private and should be kept between them on no one else needs to know it is there.

My only comments are;
1. Never do anything with a gun that you would not do without one. Meaning; If you wouldn't go into unsavory locations without a gun, you have no business being there with a gun.

2. Since crime happens in all locations at all hours, the only logical conclusion is to carry a gun in all locations at all hours.

3. There have never been a location nor a type of dress that I have not been able to carry (except prohibited places like airports, courts etc.) If I cant wear a belt holster, I pocket carry.

For me, how to carry in a professional office environment and outside business call to peoples homes is the challenge/issue. I am often in a suit or sport coat and often for whatever reason - the jacket comes off -- and then its no longer CCW. As someone who has spent a great deal of time carrying firearms (hunting & military), CCW is comfortable to me, its maintaining the concealed carry that is the concern in our hand wringing, ultra-liberal environment.......
IWB tuckable holsters and pocket holsters are your answer.

Another issue, and Im curious as to how others have dealt with this is..my kids. "Daddy has his gun on..." My kids (3) are all under the age of 8 and not much gets by them. If Im carrying they are more than likely going to know it.[
You can't hide it from them. Like others have said if you teach your kids what you are doing, tell them openly that you do it for them, and tell them that is something private, they will keep it so.

If they ever do blurt it out, it might be embarrasing but remember: it is not wrong. If some libtard is offended, to hell with him.

Back
Top Bottom