• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boiled Linseed Oil versus Tung Oil for the Winchester Stock

Which Finish for the Winchester M1 stock?

• Boiled Linseed Oil

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Tung Oil

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Howard's Feed and Wax

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • None; leave it alone!

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BLO and denatured alcohol 50/50.

Apply liberly and then wait 1 hour. Wipe clean with a rag.

Apply one a day for a week, thence a week for a month, then once a month for a year.

I wish people would stop promoting this foolishness. Nothing needs that much oil. 23 coats is insane.

maybe thats why people have issues with "oil" finishes...you end up with a coating of oil vs it absorbing into the wood.

maybe thats why people have issues with "oil" finishes...you end up with a coating of oil vs it absorbing into the wood.

it cracks me up when people go to such lengths to remove every drop of cosmo from a mosin or yugo stock yet want to completely drown a USGI stock in BLO or Tung.

it cracks me up when people go to such lengths to remove every drop of cosmo from a mosin or yugo stock yet want to completely drown a USGI stock in BLO or Tung.

cosmo does not really cure to well.... but yeah I get your point. Im not to anal about getting all the cosmo off. nor am I to crazy about getting the GI stocks "clean" I do a basic tung oil and cheese cloth and wipe it off. Any thing that oozes from the wood after shooting gets wiped off with a rag or from my hands to my pants

Raw Boiled Linseed Oil takes forever to dry. Ever think of just using Ballistol ? I use it on all my Milsurp rifles. It soaks into the wood and takes a few applications if the wood is dry but it protects the wood and after time it has a nice sheen. Not shiny like Tung Oil.
It is actually absorbed into the wood and not a sealant. Tung Oil seems to me anyway to make a milsurp look like a piece of furniture like a polished coffee table.
Ballistol has been around since I was a kid which was a long time ago :), My Dad used it on his shotguns and rifles which I have now and they look as good as new. Its also used to protect the metal so its a good all around alternative.
Just my two cents.

Last edited:
from Ballistol safety data sheet
Ballistol is an alkaline, emulsifying oily cleaner

you would think that would have a negative effect on wood and oil based wood proucts
and with the only ingredients listed is Isobutyl Alcohol .......you wonder how it does anything?

its all good in the end you use what makes you happy.

Tung oil is not shiny if applied correctly. its only shiny if you allow it to sit on the surface and dont wipe it "dry" when appling.
Which is also why so bad talk PTO or BLO is they apply it to heavily ....

from Ballistol safety data sheet
Ballistol is an alkaline, emulsifying oily cleaner

you would think that would have a negative effect on wood and oil based wood proucts
and with the only ingredients listed is Isobutyl Alcohol .......you wonder how it does anything?

its all good in the end you use what makes you happy.

Tung oil is not shiny if applied correctly. its only shiny if you allow it to sit on the surface and dont wipe it "dry" when appling.
Which is also why so bad talk PTO or BLO is they apply it to heavily ....

You are correct however even Hickcock 45 uses it on his wood stocks.
All I know is it's been used long before you and I were born for both wood and metal.
To each his own.
If you want to go back in time when most of these rifles were made natural oils were used to keep the wood from drying out resulting in cracking and also repel water. Remember these were used in all sorts of weather conditions.
If you have a chance to obtain a sample of Ballistol you will see it is a very oily solution. Go figure given its ingredients. Call me old fashion but if it worked for my Dad and has worked for me I stick with it.
Thanks for providing the indigents of Ballistol

Last edited:
You are correct however even Hickcock 45 uses it on his wood stocks.
All I know is it's been used long before you and I were born for both wood and metal.
To each his own.
If you want to go back in time when most of these rifles were made natural oils were used to keep the wood from drying out resulting in cracking and also repel water. Remember these were used in all sorts of weather conditions.
If you have a chance to obtain a sample of Ballistol you will see it is a very oily solution. Go figure given its ingredients. Call me old fashion but if it worked for my Dad and has worked for me I stick with it.
Thanks for providing the indigents of Ballistol

exactly.... I use rem oil because thats pretty much all my dad ever used PLUS I have one of the good old fashioned giant cans thats just does not seem to stop spraying....

I often go to my moms and find my Grandmothers note book on her refinishing days. Another keep it simple reminder.

Back
Top Bottom