BLACKHAWK Sportster paddle holster observation

mtsfitness

NES Member
Picked up a BLACKHAWK Sportster paddle holster for my M&P Shield today to have another option of carry. However, I noticed that the firearm was VERY loose inside the holster, even after tightening the retention screw... I noticed that inside the holster, there was a plastic device inside that the tension screw went through. The directions stated that this (cheap) plastic device added in the retention of the firearm. I removed the screw from the holster, removed the plastic piece and screwed the screw back, in tight... and... it fixed the retention 100%. Now the tension of the screw controls the retention of the firearm...

I didnt find any other postings out there that mentioned this. For a $20 OWB holster, 1 min of work with a screw driver, it's a pretty solid OWB holster.

Attachments

• 20150726_003809_resized.jpg
    20150726_003809_resized.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I don't have that holster, but I would recommend watching the tension screw carefully for a bit. I can imagine a couple reasons for the spacer. It may limit tension to keep the screw from ripping through the plastic or to keep the tension from being set to "finish shredding mode". Does the tail on the spacer press on the frame to cut out rattle? Again these are guesses.

Would sanding it (the spacer) a small bit get you there? What about sanding a lot and adding on o ring as a crush washer. I am always a bit leery when there are parts that add cost to a product, but don't seem to add function. They tend to be fixes for something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom