Binoculars:

I figured many of you are outdoors men and may be able to help me. I recently landed a job as a private investigator and am doing mainly insurance fraud and social security/ disability fraud. I am looking for advise on a decent pair of binoculars. I am not looking to spend a fortune since I have been unemployed for several months. and just purchased a new laptop, GPS, phone and misc. other items.

Just be sure you try them out in the store first. They vary from terrific to nearly impossible to see anything through. Make sure you can comfortably hold them up to your eyes (and glasses if you need them) without having to press your eyeball or eyelashes against the glass in order to see the full field of view, otherwise they get very uncomfortable quickly.

Mine are a compact pair of Nikon but I forget the model. Got from LL Bean long ago for around $250 and they work well. Mainly used for bird watching.

If you need to use them in very dim light (for surveillance?), you'll want larger lenses to let more light through.

I've had these Oberwerk waterproof 10x50 binoculars for a few years now and love them. The low price belies the high quality and it looks like they're on sale at the moment. They're sharp and bright with a relatively wide field of view and work well with my glasses. I've used them at concerts, Sox games, and for amateur binocular astronomy (the ones with 70mm objectives typically marketed for astronomy just seemed ridiculous for general purpose use, so these were a nice compromise).

Best of luck!

I have a pair that was given to me for Christmas about fifteen years ago. They were f**ked up from day one so I went to Bradlees and literally opened up every pair to find one that was correct. They are the best compact pair I own. 10x50 and thay are as good as some of the high end binos on the market of greater size.

Not sure where to go in Milbury to see many pair but good luck.

Back
Top Bottom