Big Bore, Short Barrel Times two- Brazil Contract 1917 & 24-3

pj150

NES Member
Here's a couple that I acquired just recently. I'm not usually drawn to the large 'N' frames but these were exceptions.

The first one that I am particularly proud of is a S&W Brazil contract 1917 or known as M1937. 45ACP goodness that can be shot with or without moon clips. It got the semi-fitz treatment, being a bobbed hammer and chopped barrel. It's just missing the rounded butt and chopped trigger guard. Whoever did it the conversion did a very nice job and I am glad they didn't chop the trigger guard. Gun is refinished (I think- you be the judge) and it looks like it hasn't been shot much since.

The gun is pretty original sans grips as the barrel, frame, extractor, crane and cylinder all have matching serial number 1951XX. Puts it in the first batch of 20,000 that was shipped over to South America. I have a hard time believing that this could be pocket carried unless you have large strong pockets in a big heavy coat.

Took off the large hogue monogrip as I don't like the looks. I'm going to try to find a set of wood grips for it. My camera skills are much to be desired but I hope the Brazilian crest came out. It's a star shaped crest with some some Spanish written around it and the year 1937.

The second is one that you might have seen before as it passed thru a couple of NES'ers before it came to me. It's a S&W 24-3 N frame 44 Special. Really nice but I found out the grips and cylinder release latch are not original. It's ok since I plan to keep these as collectible shooters anyway.

Feels great in hand but I have found that ammo is not so easy to come by. If you do find 44spl it's usually pretty expensive. I really have to take up reloading...

Both have nice smooth trigger pulls.

I really should have taken more care in wiping them down more but Enjoy-

DSCF0227.jpg

DSCF0228.jpg

DSCF0230.jpg

DSCF0233.jpg

DSCF0234.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0231.jpg

DSCF0235.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0237.jpg

DSCF0231.jpg

DSCF0225.jpg

DSCF0226.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to mention the lanyard hole on the 1917 and I wanted to ask if you guys knew what the 'pin' that holds the grips to the frame on the bottom of the butt is called. Whoever put the monogrip on punched out the pin and I need another to properly fit wood grips on. I just need the 'technical' name for it so I can go out and try to find one.

I'd call S&W or Numrichs and ask for "the pin that holds the grips to the frame at the bottom of the butt". [wink]

Sorry I couldn't resist...but seriously check out Numrichs at e-gunparts.com, they have exploded parts diagrams for loads of firearms. If anyone can identify it and has it in stock, they probably will.

Nice pick up by the way!

Back
Top Bottom