Best reload data for M1 garand 30-06 specific loads

mac1911

NES Member
I will be getting into reloading for my Garand and 5.56 I cant really find anything local that has some Garand specific loads?

IMR 4895 on line data has one load listed?

get a reloading book. EC and DiM both suggested 2 great books. Read them. Don't go looking online for load data. Is your hand worth the 30$ you will spend buying a book? How about a finger? Where do you draw the line of your own personal safety?

The Hornady book has M1 Garand-specific load data.

I 2nd this.... I was pleased to find out that the manual had specific Garand Data.
I just made up my 1st Garand loads a few weeks ago using data from the Hornady book. I was using a 150gr FMJ and Varget. Worked very well.

I actually just picked up a few pounds of H4895 to experiment with so I can keep my Varget for my .223 loads.

Good luck and be safe!

Steve

Thank you guys, I was looking for a book locally the few I came across where not very specific to Garand loads. I dont want to order book online if it does not cover Garands data.
Most of the bookd I found locally where more on general reloading with a broad range of reloading info. pistol,rifle,shotgun,

Im looking for more specific data....rifle and more Garand. I dont have loader yet. Stock up on info and brass 1st.

The Hornady Manual has regular .30-06 loads, plus a set of data specifically for the Garand. It lists bullet weights from 150 to 178 grains, and slightly lighter max charge weights that won't bend the op rod on your rifle.

The Hornady 7th edition does have a Garand section as EC said and it also lists the powders that Big Gun mentioned. Remember,all 30'06 loads are not suitable for the Garand. I use ball powder because it flows better through the powder measure. The Hornady manual lists bullets from 150 to 178 grains. It also lists service rifle data in .223. Hornady Ballistics Tables are available at www.hornady.com/ballistics.

The Hornady 7th edition does have a Garand section as EC said and it also lists the powders that Big Gun mentioned. Remember,all 30'06 loads are not suitable for the Garand. I use ball powder because it flows better through the powder measure. The Hornady manual lists bullets from 150 to 178 grains. It also lists service rifle data in .223. Hornady Ballistics Tables are available at www.hornady.com/ballistics.

I use a Pact computer system for the 30-06 and it does not like fine ball powders.

I use this powder in my .30-06 Remington 700 BDL bolt action rifle. All I can say so far is that it works fine and meters great in the 550.

Accurate 2520 - Destined to be one of the most popular rifle propellants of all time. This medium-slow burning double base ball propellant gives excellent results in medium capacity cases (.308 class) and certain applications in large bore cartridges. This powder was in the winner's circle in NRA High Power competition before it had been the market two years! 2520 is first choice for target shooters using 168 grain bullets in the .308 Winchester. It has a pressure curve appropriate for use with M1 and M14 (M1A) service rifles. In fact, some shooters now call it the "Camp Perry" powder.

I've also tried this (had a pound) - nothing special, nothing bad either.

Accurate 2700 - Accurates newest ball rifle, it fills the gap between 2520 and 4350. It is intended to be used as a heavy bullet powder in many cartridges (bullet weights lighter than those listed may not maintain our standards for shot-to-shot consistency). Exceptions to this are notably the .17 Remington, .22-250 Remington and the .220 Swift with varmint bullets, where it excels.

I used to use IMR 3031 but had to hand load the powder as the 550B doesn't like stick powder.

I'm not sure I am going to stick with the 2520. I'm currently looking around for another powder that will meter good in the 550. The 2520 sure burns clean though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom