Best Memorial day I've had.

Twigg

NES Member
We went to see the parade in Jaffrey today an this was by far the best I've been to in a long time. The route stopped at the main memorial in the town center and at all of the other memorials in town.

The older Vets got to ride in a restored Military truck.
OlderVets.jpg

There were several color guard units.
Guard1.jpg

Guard2.jpg

More than a few veterans turned out for the day.
Vets.jpg

MrsTwigg nudged me as they passed and suggested I look into finding a correct uniform and joining them next year.

The Knights of Columbus were marching, and just about every Scout in town.
BAnd2.jpg

There was a nice ceremony at the town's memorial.
Ceremony.jpg

When the bugler started playing Taps, everyone in the crowd stopped talking and turned, facing the flag. There was one 15 yr old sk8r surfing through the crowd and to my surprise he stopped, kicked up his board, took off the sideways hat and faced the flag with his right hand on his heart.

That's when I knew I landed in the right town. They raise their kids right up here.

It was fun watching the children scramble for the spent brass from the Color Guard's salute and go running back to their Mom & Dad clutching their prize.
No worries about felony posession of "ammo" here. (That's common sense gun control.)

Unfortunatly I missed getting pictures of the best part of the day. During Taps I heard the whooshing of giant turbofans and as I looked up there was a pair of F-15's about 200 ft off the deck cominig in slow. I could not help but stand there slackjawed as they overflew our gathering there on the common.

An announcement was made that the planes were doing fly-overs for several towns in Massachusetts and Vermont. One of the pilots was from Jaffrey and while the overflight was not officially scheduled the home town boy was not going to pass by without "Saying Hello" to his hometown. Well, he could not have timed it better.

Very nice Mr. Twigg, thanks for sharing.

When the bugler started playing Taps, everyone in the crowd stopped talking and turned, facing the flag. There was one 15 yr old sk8r surfing through the crowd and to my surprise he stopped, kicked up his board, took off the sideways hat and faced the flag with his right hand on his heart.

Wow, that gives me hope. [grin]

There was one 15 yr old sk8r surfing through the crowd and to my surprise he stopped, kicked up his board, took off the sideways hat and faced the flag with his right hand on his heart.

Individuality, and the wisdom to respect those who preserved that right. That boy has a future.
Glad you had a good day.

Back
Top Bottom