Best big box store for o/u shotgun?

I just got a Silver Pidgen 1 Sporting 32" barrels. I bought it from my LGS. I paid 2250.00. If you can get it for 1799 do it. That's a great price. I love mine. Sweet gun!! It was a gift from my wife.

Before the Beretta I only shot trap with my sub 200 dollar Winchester Ranger. It worked fine but if you care about sutch things, try beating a guy with a 10000 dollar Perazzi comp gun with a <200 beater gun? I've never seen a nose so long as the nose of that guy as he looked down at me.

There used to be an old saying at local gun clubs. It went something like 'rifle guys drink beer and shotgun guys drink champagne. I found it to me very true in a lot of cases. Especially at clubs with 13 trap fields and 3 Sporting clay fields. The rifle range was WAY in the back of the club. Needless to say that club was a shotgun club. I was a member for 3 years and never renewed after that. Didn't need the class warfare.

Last edited:
I just got a Silver Pidgen 1 Sporting 32" barrels. I bought it from my LGS. I paid 2250.00. If you can get it for 1799 do it. That's a great price. I love mine. Sweet gun!! It was a gift from my wife.

Before the Beretta I only shot trap with my sub 200 dollar Winchester Ranger. It worked fine but if you care about sutch things, try beating a guy with a 10000 dollar Perazzi comp gun with a <200 beater gun? I've never seen a nose so long as the nose of that guy as he looked down at me.

There used to be an old saying at local gun clubs. It went something like 'rifle guys drink beer and shotgun guys drink champagne. I found it to me very true in a lot of cases. Especially at clubs with 13 trap fields and 3 Sporting clay fields. The rifle range was WAY in the back of the club. Needless to say that club was a shotgun club. I was a member for 3 years and never renewed after that. Didn't need the class warfare.

If you know how to shoot trap at all (hit 23-25 per round) then you've probably had that experience. Happened to me a couple of times......On a wed night at the club a guy and his girl friend showed up with custom trap guns......They were beautiful. Hers was purple laminate custom fitted stock and stainless steel barely and receiver. She said it cost $14k custom made. She broke 16......I hit for 24 with my beater hunting iron mossy 500. Her hubby had a kreighoff and hit 20. Amazes me how people think you can buy a better game.

If you know how to shoot trap at all (hit 23-25 per round) then you've probably had that experience. Happened to me a couple of times......On a wed night at the club a guy and his girl friend showed up with custom trap guns......They were beautiful. Hers was purple laminate custom fitted stock and stainless steel barely and receiver. She said it cost $14k custom made. She broke 16......I hit for 24 with my beater hunting iron mossy 500. Her hubby had a kreighoff and hit 20. Amazes me how people think you can buy a better game.

It's really kind of a poor analogy you're using. Lets look at it another way if you drive a Ford and the other guy drives a BMW will you get to Boston at the same time .. probably. So if you had the money to buy a more expensive shotgun would you? I think feelings of inadequacies is the only reason for caring what other people shoot. Me ... I am in the jealous corner as far as anything more than a inexpensive shotgun and would I like to own a Kreighoff regardles of how many clays I could hit... yes ... can I afford too ... No [sad2]

It's really kind of a poor analogy you're using. Lets look at it another way if you drive a Ford and the other guy drives a BMW will you get to Boston at the same time .. probably. So if you had the money to buy a more expensive shotgun would you? I think feelings of inadequacies is the only reason for caring what other people shoot. Me ... I am in the jealous corner as far as anything more than a inexpensive shotgun and would I like to own a Kreighoff regardles of how many clays I could hit... yes ... can I afford too ... No [sad2]
If you sell your wife's shoes and pocketbooks maybe then you could afford a nice shotgun? JK

I also think budget comes down to what % of your shooting time goes to the sport and how much you shoot. If you go once every few weeks that's different than if you go every week and shoot several rounds. It can start to dwarf the cost of the tool.

The analogy I would use is a home owner grade tool vs a contractor grade tool that won't crap out quickly from sustained heavy use.

(That's not a dig at the 870 or 500 but a lot of the cheaper O/U wouldn't last more than a year or two on average if used heavily)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We just see things differently. I'm a utilitarian clay shooter lol. I shoot for fun yes but also to stay practiced as I use my shotguns to hunt with. Sorry that I find it odd someone would spend 14k on a gun and not have a clue how to shoot trap......Not just buy a custom gun that costs as much as a good used car to just "give it a whirl".

Last edited:
We just see things differently. I'm a utilitarian clay shooter lol. I shoot for fun yes but also to stay practiced as I use my shotguns to hunt with. Sorry that I find it odd someone would spend 14k on a gun and not have a clue how to shoot trap......Not just buy a custom gun that costs as much as a good used car to just "give it a whirl".

If you had that kind of disposable cash on hand, you probably wouldn't think twice about it. But personally I agree with you that it's kind of odd to spend that much and not actually be very good. I can do just as well with a $300 pump as I can with my $1400 autoloader. It's really all about fit when it comes to the gun, and that isn't necessarily expensive to achieve. The rest is on the shooter.

If you had that kind of disposable cash on hand, you probably wouldn't think twice about it. But personally I agree with you that it's kind of odd to spend that much and not actually be very good. I can do just as well with a $300 pump as I can with my $1400 autoloader. It's really all about fit when it comes to the gun, and that isn't necessarily expensive to achieve. The rest is on the shooter.

As mrhappy said......Once you are at the level that one lost bird out of 100 is important to you......The big dollar guns and such matter. And you won't be on this website forum asking for advice on what gun to buy.

I do know a few trap shooters at my club that are in the above category. A 97/100 is a bad day.

Back
Top Bottom