Beginner question about seating a bullet.

Beginner question - I seated a cast lead bullet .38 in the case, and some lead shaved off around the side... means I did not bell enough correct? There is a small ridge of lead around the lip of the case now. I'm assuming this in one to test the bullet puller with.

When I place the bullet on the case how much should fit in the case? When I did it it sort of just sat there on top.

Possibly inadequate belling; also possibly the slug was canted as it entered the seating die.

It was too little bell. I increased the bell, sort of a lot actually, then made another and it came out great.

I have to seat and crimp in different steps, I have a Lee die where you seat, adjust the die, then crimp.

I went single stage to see how I like it, if I stick with it (all signs point to yes) then I'm probably going with a progressive set up.

It was too little bell. I increased the bell, sort of a lot actually, then made another and it came out great.

I have to seat and crimp in different steps, I have a Lee die where you seat, adjust the die, then crimp.

I went single stage to see how I like it, if I stick with it (all signs point to yes) then I'm probably going with a progressive set up.

If it's the normal Lee seating die then you can seat and crimp with it at the same time. Glad you got the problem fixed.
Rusty

If it's the normal Lee seating die then you can seat and crimp with it at the same time. Glad you got the problem fixed.
Rusty

It's the "speed" die.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited to have assembled what looks to be a workable round.

Rusty

How? I have the Seating die and the Factory Crimp Die. I can't think of how I would be able to crimp with the seating die?

BTW the Speed die is discontinued from Lee.

I have nothing to compare it too yet, but so far it seems like a reasonable way to work things on a single stage.

I tend to try and build a round based on a manufactured round that has treated my gun well. Its nothing to depend on but it certainly has helped to assure my specs are dam close to the manufactured one. Of course all my load data is coming out of a reloading manual but again just a suggestion as I too am still learning.

Enjoy and be safe.

My problem was this I think:

I was following the instructions for .357 mag, while reloading .38 in terms of case.

I got the powder right, don't worry!

Checked and rechecked on the RCBS scale.

I need to find some good calipers to measure and make sure it's all too spec now.

reloading

question: what is a speed die?I have lees catalog and dont see the name.
are you shooting a revolver??as long as the bullet does not protrude from cylinder your allright.but all? lead bullets have a crimp grove use it.do you have a manual you should and the lyman cast bullet manual will give you loads and OAL .

question: what is a speed die?I have lees catalog and dont see the name.
are you shooting a revolver??as long as the bullet does not protrude from cylinder your allright.but all? lead bullets have a crimp grove use it.do you have a manual you should and the lyman cast bullet manual will give you loads and OAL .

1) I do have a manual.
2) A speed die is like a transformer, you screw in different parts to accomplish different tasks. There is a sizer, a de-primer/ thing that makes the bell, and a bullet seater which all attach one way or the other to this thing.
3) yep, shooting a revolver.
4) with the round that worked out the OAL is good, checked it with some digital calipers.

I have another round that I put a bit much of a crimp on. You can see it in other words. I'm guessing I should discard that one.

How? I have the Seating die and the Factory Crimp Die. I can't think of how I would be able to crimp with the seating die?

BTW the Speed die is discontinued from Lee.

You know in the directions where it tells you to run the die in until it touches the shell holder and then back it out three turns? If you start to screw the die in it will start to add crimp. The more you screw it in the more crimp you will get. I also leave the seating die screwed out and use the FCD.

Back
Top Bottom