1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Beekeeping

Discussion in 'Survival Forum' started by xtry51, Apr 6, 2018.

1. AMV

AMV

pepper bush flow is coming to an end around hear....not as good as years past

2. jpk

jpk

And if anyone has colonies that are light/dont have enough stores this is the time to start feeding the shit out of them....especially if they havent drawn out all frames

Things are gonna come to a screeching halt in about 4-5 weeks

That means you have about one more good cycle to get your queen laying/raising brood

toekneepea likes this.
  3. AMV

AMV

Just be careful for robbing.....I haven't had to feed my bees in a few years, but I used to do it after the golden rod flow.... they don't draw comb that time of year but at least they can get up to weight. last year I left a full super of honey on each hive, never had to feed in the late winter early spring, Some hives used a lot some didn't

4. MGnoob

MGnoob NES Life Member NES Member

I assume most of this honey was robbed.

Last year I could have taken so much honey... I way over fed because there was no comb.
    This year was especially ruff compared to the luck/success of my first year....

It’ll be many season before my opinion has any weight... but producing honey is easy.... I’m more interested in helping my bees, or not over helping

They are amazing and resilient... I can only assume their lack of survival was something I did.

I’m pretty hard on myself but last year was f***ed up and I may have done nothing wrong....... it’s just upsetting to be doing better the second year only because of vandalism.//

I must care because I have nightmares about my bees not doing well

5. AMV

AMV

In the late winter when the hives get light and the cluster moves up they can run out of stores and starve to death, some feed fondant or granulated sugar... I left on a super of honey. In February and March when a lot of colonies die from lack of food I had the cluster move up into the super. The time of year there are not enough bees flying around to rob, in my experience

I have had robbing happen when feeding from spillage of the sugar water and weak hives near stronger hives, or any times there is a dearth or lack of local food source.[/QUOTE]

6. AMV

AMV

If you have a weak hive that you don't think will make it bring it in side, they stay warm enough to move around to get to the food. Have done it for a few years and they usually do well in the spring. they come in late November early december and back out when the weather breaks in. This was the hive in my living room my second year with bees. bees.jpg

JayMcB likes this.
  7. MGnoob

Interesting. I thought they need to be able to leave the hive and fly around even during winter ..”cleaning flights”?
    I forget what it’s called offhand. Last year’s hives were incredibly strong so I’m surprised they died. This year I’m gonna do a few things different

8. AMV

AMV

I have a 1 1/4 tube from the hive entrance to the window, Christmas eve that year was ln the mid 60's .... all the bees where out flying around on the porch and i was having a family party....

55_grain likes this.
  9. MGnoob

Lol, I’m tempted to try it just because.
    I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you

10. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain NES Member

My wife went to their beekeeping school and learned a TON