• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Baofengs Charging

I have a couple baofangs I dont know how to use, and just got my grandpa's radio he had so I figure its time I finally learn how to use it all

Radio classes should be part of any ham club's overall agenda, to teach those who seek knowledge of radio, not just HAM radio, but the science of it all in general.
It is a science unto itself and anyone who is interested in learning the science of radio should seek out a class....no matter who presents it or find a local ham or someone who knows about radio and ask if they'll teach them.

Is taking a class a requirement or can I just study and take the test?
You can definitely just study and take a test. When I took my tech/general tests I printed the question pool, made sure I knew how to answer every question (understood the math/science/etc), and then made sure I knew the answer to every question. Print the question pool, highlight the correct answers, run through them until you can pass the test 100% of the time.

I've got a technical background so the technical stuff was easy for me. But it's a test intended to be passed. You could study a little every night and pass the test this weekend.

If you don't understand something, ask.

Question Pools: Question Pools

I wonder how an online radio class would go over on this board without being completely driven off course by irrelevant BS?

My guess is, it would get two pages of irrelevant comments within the first hour.

If you want a slightly better Baofeng there is the Explorer QRZ-1 (center)… I have not opened it up but it probably based on the same radio chipset. Just a little more engineering in the overall package. A lot of Baofeng under test show excessive spurious emissions, but that won’t matter when we are fighting zombies.

IMG_0113.jpeg

If you want a slightly better Baofeng there is the Explorer QRZ-1 (center)… I have not opened it up but it probably based on the same radio chipset. Just a little more engineering in the overall package. A lot of Baofeng under test show excessive spurious emissions, but that won’t matter when we are fighting zombies.

View attachment 816380
Buy one get one free right now.

1 thing I wish I would have known about when I was new to radio is Software Defined Radio. I use it a lot now for monitoring a large portion of a band without having my radio scanning and making unnecessary noise, but it would have been a good way to learn a lot by listening. You can get an entire SDR kit on amazon cheap and all you need is a computer to load the software on and plug the dongle in. The included dipole antenna works surprisingly well, but you can wire it up at any bigger antenna for better reception.

Amazon product ASIN B0BMKB3L47View: https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined/dp/B0BMKB3L47

1 thing I wish I would have known about when I was new to radio is Software Defined Radio. I use it a lot now for monitoring a large portion of a band without having my radio scanning and making unnecessary noise, but it would have been a good way to learn a lot by listening. You can get an entire SDR kit on amazon cheap and all you need is a computer to load the software on and plug the dongle in. The included dipole antenna works surprisingly well, but you can wire it up at any bigger antenna for better reception.

Amazon product ASIN B0BMKB3L47View: https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined/dp/B0BMKB3L47
That's receive only, correct? I think k if I m going to set up something for the house that might be the way to go.

That's receive only, correct? I think k if I m going to set up something for the house that might be the way to go.
Yes, it's just for listening, basically a super handy scanner for your computer that gives you visual indication of activity, so you can straight mute the audio until you see something you want to listen to. It is great for the work day while I am sitting at my desk. You could probably decode digital messaging with it if you have the proper software installed, but I don't know enough to say for sure.

Got a link to a kit you like?

It’s not that hard. 5 year olds get their ham licenses and build stations.

And hams will help you.

Give it a shot!
I’m flattered that you think I can equal a 5 year old on a multiple choice test! Ugh, now I’m going to look into a new hobby I guess.

There are better SDR modules that give you a wider chunk of monitoring and dual watch that can wore up 2 antennas, but they are a good bit more expensive.

I have one of these sitting on my desk that I haven't wired up yet.

This one does dual watch.

But that Amazon special is a good one to have and learn with, plus it folds up small enough to toss in your computer bag to setup on the go.

I’m flattered that you think I can equal a 5 year old on a multiple choice test! Ugh, now I’m going to look into a new hobby I guess.
The real question is can you rock a proper plumber's crack at the hamfest, and carry five HTs on your belt?

View attachment 816380
I’ve seen some evidence that Baofengs have alot of counterfeits out there with vastly different frequency values so who knows if mine are actually genuine or not.

Is taking a class a requirement or can I just study and take the test?
Here is the official ARRL website with all the questions you will be asked to answer (multiple choice) on an exam (good through June 30, 2026):

All you need to do is create an account with an email and you can take the tests as many times as you would like until you have a sufficient threshold of passing and feel you are ready.

If you would like to view all the possible questions, here is the question pool:

Note this document is in a cumbersome format. You can keep testing online and new material will always be thrown at you. There are many questions and they can only put a fraction of them on any given test at various designated testing locations. Feel free to ask me any questions, although I'm only a Technician and passed a number of years ago, so others may be of more help.

Got a guide for General?

Here is the official ARRL manual for the General exam, good through July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2027. I would suggest ordering directly from the ARRL site to support them versus Amazon, but totally your call.

Here is the official ARRL website with all the questions you will be asked to answer (multiple choice) on an exam (good through June 30, 2026):

All you need to do is create an account with an email and you can take the tests as many times as you would like until you have a sufficient threshold of passing and feel you are ready.

If you would like to view all the possible questions, here is the question pool:

Note this document is in a cumbersome format. You can keep testing online and new material will always be thrown at you. There are many questions and they can only put a fraction of them on any given test at various designated testing locations. Feel free to ask me any questions, although I'm only a Technician and passed a number of years ago, so others may be of more help.
Thanks, I started reading through a bit already.

If nothing else, the American Education system trained me well to memorize all the correct answers and regurgitate onto the exam

If nothing else, the American Education system trained me well to memorize all the correct answers and regurgitate onto the exam
That will work for most portions of the exam; however, I also recommend some basic electronics knowledge and other HAM specific math formulae. A few big ones: Ohms law (V = IR) with units [V] =[Α][Ω], Power = dW/dt change in work WRT time, with units [Watt] = d[Joules]/dt; and other physics equations are helpful and entirely necessary. Instead of memorizing answers to questions with numbers, studying these fundamental equations are key to success.

And then forget them all the day after ;)
That will work for most portions of the exam; however, I also recommend some basic electronics knowledge and other HAM specific math formulae. A few big ones: Ohms law (V = IR) with units [V] =[Α][Ω], Power = dW/dt change in work WRT time, with units [Watt] = d[Joules]/dt; and other physics equations are helpful and entirely necessary. Instead of memorizing answers to questions with numbers, studying these fundamental equations are key to success.
if only he had a  real engineering degree :p