Backwards bullet

With a backwards bullet, I don't think you're at risk for either an explosion or an accurate shot.

If a normal .308 won't get it done, it's time to rethink some shit anyway.

A few years back, a friend started loading some 45ACP rounds with the bullets backwards for his S&W revolver. I think they were in the 150gr range and were lead SWC's. Not only were they accurate at 50 yards, they cut an absolutely clean hole on the target. They were his favorite Bullseye round for his revolver.

A few years back, a friend started loading some 45ACP rounds with the bullets backwards for his S&W revolver. I think they were in the 150gr range and were lead SWC's. Not only were they accurate at 50 yards, they cut an absolutely clean hole on the target. They were his favorite Bullseye round for his revolver.

Typically known as a dum-dum load.
I shot a few HBWC seated backwards and the few that hit paper at 100 meters went through as normal. They didn't quite have the energy to cut a crisp hole, but it was laminated (plastic on two sides) paper. They made the clean circular imprint as they tore through, however. I can't imagine they rotated in flight.

I've heard of backwards .223s being used on bowling pins. Normally, they tend to just sail right through with not a whole lot of impact on the pin.

Definitely not much impact with FMJs, beyond a slight puff of white, but soft points usually do more than just slice through the pins.

Backwards or not, there is something to be said for a flat tip. I made a jig ears ago to file the tips off of .22lr rounds for squirrel hunting. As small as squirrels are they are surprisingly hard to kill. The flat tip did the trick and the jig was useful for making them all uniform so I cold get sighted in on a consistent shape/weight. I wouldn't be too concerned about pressure problems doing it with a high powered rifle as long as there was room in the case.

It should also be more stable than a normal bullet.

Things want to fly through the air with the heaviest part facing forwards. Its the spin that keeps the pointy end facing forwards on a normal bullet. With a backwards bullet it should be stable with little or no spin.

Don

p.s. for the physics geeks among you. Something is aerodynameically stable when the center of pressure is aft of the center of gravity or mass. So while a backwards bullet has more "sail area" forward than a forwards bullet, it isn't enough to make up for the greater increase in mass. The center of pressure increases as a square function as dimensions increase. The center of mass increases as a cube function. So the more you make the front of a projectile bulbous and heavy, the more stable it is.

I loaded all kinds of weird things surprising what works better than others..
I never tried it but I wanted to load a tracer backwards with the primer attached to the as end which which would be facing forward…Kind a like those stupid shotguns slugs with a primer on the tip..I don’t think a trace relight off of primer and less you put powder underneath the primer

There’s probably a more effective way to burn something down

Back
Top Bottom