Back again stupid question #361

So now I'm wondering why I took up this whole reloading thing... [thinking]

6.8mm SPC ammo is apparently rarer than chickens lips, so I'm new-loading.

So far I've only reloaded 223 used brass. Okay, I have new Hornady 6.8 SPC un-primed brass #8629 the Hornady manual says with their case to use the CCI #41 primer.
In the Speer manual using the Remington case it recommends CCI #200 which is a large rifle primer. [shocked]

I think that in this caliber there are two different cartridge cases, in that, some are small rifle primer and some are large rifle primer. Since I haven't reloaded any large primer rifle brass I don't know the difference yet.

Also, is there a reason to re-size new brass?

Hornady and SSA use small rifle primers in 6.8 SPC, Remington and S&B use large rifle primers. I've had better accuracy with the small rifle brass.

Unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise, I always resize new brass. You'll also want to chamfer the inside of the case mouth on that new Hornady brass before you try to seat a bullet.

There's a reason why I use the forum.

It's the people like EddieCoyle who make this hobby all that more fun, and more.

Thank you sir! [smile]

If you are buying new brass, you might look at the SSA (Silver State Armory) stuff. Cost wise might be cheaper than the Hornady stuff. Pretty decent quality. Also uses small primer. I have some of the Remington stuff also that I bought new at Cabella's...was not impressed.

Last edited:
Small rifle primers are the same size as .223 rem (5.56)
Large rifle primers are the size of .308 Win or 30-06, etc.
Big visual difference in size. The big visual difference is in the diameter.
So, manufacturers numbering system aside, use whatever the brass needs.

New brass gets notoriously bounced around during shipping. I've had many bags of brass get dented case mouths. The only way to fix all the possible issues is to resize everything.

Back
Top Bottom