Baby steps...

So i've been shooting for a little over a year now and I have decided that reloading is a good idea. I've been saving what brass i can for the last few months and I just got my first reloading manual last night during a trip to kittery, haven't started reading it yet though.

I've already started a basic shopping list, but any and all recommendations will be greatly appreciated! i've read a bunch of the stickies and I am just trying to get as much info as i can before i start. Space is limited at my place so i've been looking at single stage presses and even hand presses.

thanks in advance!

If you are going to reload handgun ammo in bulk skip the single stage and go right to something like a Dillon 550, a Hornady LNL, or at least a Dillon SDB. By "Bulk" I mean anything more than 50 rounds here and there.... Loading handgun ammo on a single stage is an act of masochism at best, unless you have LOTS of free time on your hands.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. My plan right now is to go slow so i don't hurt myself or someone else, but ultimately i would like to use these reloads for IDPA, so i'll look into other presses like the dillion 550

When it comes to reloading, there are two economies :$ and time.

You'll save $ by reloading, but if you're not just running up 20 rounds for a rifle, trying to reduce the group size from a quarter to a nickel at 100 yards, the progressive press, while a bigger outlay originally, will save MUCH time.

I'm not a metallic reloader, but when it comes to shotshells progressive is king. The difference between 75 and 250 rounds per hour is not to be sneezed at.

Thanks Mike. My plan right now is to go slow so i don't hurt myself or someone else, but ultimately i would like to use these reloads for IDPA, so i'll look into other presses like the dillion 550

I think the Hornady Lock N Load is a much better press than the 550 for similar money. You get 5 stations instead of four, and it's a true progressive. If you want to come up to Westford and [STRIKE]load some 9mm for me[/STRIKE] see it in action, send me a PM.

Baby Steps

Nothing at all wrong with learning on a single-stage press. Good place to start and even when you become comfortable loading and using the availible load data, move to a progressive as Mike advised. Hornady presses use a quick change bushing that allows you to move dies around from on press to another, and not loose the set-up demensions, this is a "too cool" feature for moving between presses. There Classic Single stage is a great piece of equipment. The great thing is you will alway find a use for the single stage press. They take up little space, but can do a lot of work, case prep etc. I can't imagine not having one mounted on my work bench. Large quantities of straight walled pistol ammo can be cranked out on a progressive ie: Hornady Lock-N- Load. The exact same fundamentals are used from single stage to progressive presses. I tended to run on about this but I think you get the picture.[smile]
Tank

As has been said here, many times, by several people, a single station press is excellent for reloading most necked rifle calibers. So, it's not a bad way to start off.

Nothing at all wrong with learning on a single-stage press... The great thing is you will alway find a use for the single stage press. They take up little space, but can do a lot of work, case prep etc... Tank

I can't even count the number of times I've read of fellow posters explaining the myriad of uses they have found for their old single stage press. When you're just starting out (and even when you're a "seasoned vet") it's not a bad habit to just concentrate on the one thing at a time that you're doing, just to see what works, how it works, and why it's important.

I found seeing what works and how it works much easier with a progressive. Everything was all laid out and I could see it step by step. I still say if you're loading straight wall pistol cartridges for competition, start with a progressive. I loaded maybe 50 rounds on my single stage and got sick of it and went progressive. I've since loaded about 2000, and my busy shooting season is just starting.

I would skip the single stage unless you plan on doing some precision rifle target shooting or hunting.
Most people reload more handgun ammo than rifle.
Perfect time for the old saying. You don't really end up saving any money, BUT you end up shooting alot more. If this is your hobby & that's what you do, than it's a good thing right?[wink]

One cannot make a REAL mistake by purchasing a single-stage press. It is a great learning tool and, even with a progressive, serves a useful purpose.

IF you plan on loading rifle cartridges, it will be a useful. If you plan on loading handgun ammo, you will quickly outgrow it if you shoot more than a few hundred rounds a year.

Even when you buy a progressive - as you likely will - the single stage press will be there for the hard, grunt prep work; resizing rifle cases and removing military primer crimps.

If you don't want to go full progressive right away, a good turret press is an excellent starting point. They can be used in the same manner as a single stage, and also add more speed when used with the auto advance. The Lee Classic Turret is a nice example for short money. It has a rugged cast iron base and is plenty tall enough for large rifle cases. They can be had for a little over $100, and are built rugged enough to last for a long time. While it won't be as fast as a true progressive, it will surely speed production over any single stage while giving you more ability to watch what is happening. I wish I had gone that route to start, but live and learn.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cat...l/catalog/turretpress.html#ClassicTurretPress

If you go to the help video's section of the Lee site, there is a video of the Classic Turret during operation so you can have a better idea of how it works.

Other companies make turrets as well, but most don't have an auto advance. They are also a lot more money as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom