AWB: simplifcation and clarification

The CT AWB creates two categories of prohibited rifles: those mentioned by name, and those defined by attribute. This is unfair to, e.g. Colt, who may not be able to sell a rifle that is completely comparable to one by another manufacturer that is legal. (Or do I misunderstand?)

I would think that there would be some, minor current of activity to get all manufacturers on a level playing field, but I have never seen anything in that line. Are the manufacturers afraid to open Pandora's box by getting the legislature debating guns? Or is the CT market just too damn small for anyone to care much. Even on this forum, CT matters seem to be dwarfed by MA.

Any comments?

(I should say that I really don't care since I'm not in the market for an evil black rifle, but have noted that my preference might be for an (banned) Armalite.)

AWB: simplifcation and clarification

Those three words can not be used together...[rofl][laugh2][rofl2]

But seriously, yeah, it isn't fair. But even colt has been selling a rifle that is not named AR-15 so it didn't take much to get around the "By name" segment of the law. They just renamed them.

The AWB is nothing more than a bogus, uneducated attempt by ignorant lawmakers to feel that they've done something 'good' for the citizens of this state. It is totally ineffective and not based on one shred of concrete information about the technology of true assault rifles nor an understanding of caliber.

1) Even the term "assault weapon" is bogus. What IS and assault weapon? A 50 caliber machine gun? A brick"? A sharp stick"? A lunch box with a full thermos in it that you whack someone's head with? That term is a worn out piece of crap that has no place in any legislation yet it's predominant in all the AWB restrictions.

The proper term would be Assault Rifle. That term is perfectly understood by those who understand firearms. These rifles MUST have all three items: a pistol grip, a removable magazine, and MUST HAVE a select fire switch on it where it can shoot full auto. The perfect example would be any select fire rifle from WWII forward. The term was coined by the Germans toward the end of WWII when they introduced the "Sturmgehwer" which translates loosely to the words "assault rifle". It's what sold Hitler on their production. Their rifle has all three of the mandatory bits which paved the way for future machines having the same features.

Today, the term has been bastardized to mean "anything that looks evil" to the uneducated eye and has been adopted by the press.

So, you asked why manufacturers have abandonded CT? It's because they can not fathom what CT means when they ban a rifle because their teminology is so amazingly screwed up.

2) Why is an AK47 clone in 7.62 x 39 NOT legal in this state but the virtually identical rifle in ANY OTHER CALIBER perfectly legal? It's because the state's decision to ban it was based on ignorance and feelings, not ballistics or firearm knowledge. It's so ludicrous that it can't be discussed. It would be like you talking to someone about space travel when they think the world is flat. There is no semblance of knowledge. On top of that think of all the other rifles that shoot the SAME CALIBER which are totally legal not the least of which is an SKS.

3) Why is EVERY OTHER AR15 legal in this state but if it simply has "Colt AR-15 Sporter" imprinted on it we can't own it? Again, base ignorance and feelings enter into their decision making.

I could go on and on. There are so many inconsistancies in ALL the laws in this state restricting or banning certain firearms.

There is no interest in revisiting these screwed up pieces of legal morass because we feel that if anything, the current crop of dems would simply rewrite the regs to include more of what we like to own making our lives even worse off. So, we deal with it but the suppliers and manufacturers outside of our small state don't have the stomach to try to contest the laws as written and send us plain-vanilla stuff instead or has simply written CT off.

I hope this peaks your interest to take this further and research it for yourself. Being educated about this situation will ensure that we'll have at least one more collector/shooter who can watch for any changes being made and take the action required to stem them. Joining the CCS (Connecticut Coalition of Sportsmen) would be a good way to help, btw.

Rome

Hold On,, Let me get this straight,

You dont want to revisit this because it might make it worse??[rofl] Jesus you sound like my union. Lets not fight it cause we might lose,or we might get beat up. The AWB make no LOGICAL sense. Now I know for a Polichicken thats just great,, But for a Lawyer?? Come on I thought they lived for this sh*t. Why has'nt anyone fought this? Or are we waithing for our fearless leader in DC to really slam the door closed. I mean the stats themselves speak volumes on this B.Sh*t AWB. What would our forefathers think about all this??

I've been thinking for the past couple days how whenever something bad happens, the media and the politicians are always looking to see if something can be made illegal to keep it from happening again. (Today, it happens to be keeping chimps as pets. Tomorrow....who knows?) This habit is so ingrained that when the bad thing already involved the breaking laws, they go ahead and pass new laws to make it "illegaler". So a murder can be a "hate crime" as if murder wasn't already at the top of the crime sheet.

I suppose it's a expected reaction, but our legislators should get over their horror and consider the sensibleness of what they doing, and possible unintended consequences.

Back
Top Bottom