AWB pistol grip questions

hjk

I know in ct you are limited to having only one precious evil feature on a post ban gun. Does the following count under:"A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon"

When the gun is a bullpup because the pistol grip isnt directly beneath the action? It does extend to a lower level than the action so i wonder which definition of beneath is used?

When its something like the Kriss Vector becauses that Super V system looks like it actually protrudes down lower than the grip does and thefore the grip wouldn't count as being below the action?

Holy crap! You must be from Mass (at one time or another).

Speaking from a free state, I can tell ya, that is an evil feature there. A pistol grip is a pistol grip, no matter how you slice it.

CT General Statutes Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons, describes a an 'Assault Weapon' by listing several particular firearms makes & models, and furthermore as:
(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least TWO (2) of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A bayonet mount;
(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) A grenade launcher

Therefore, in almost all cases, and particularly with AR-type rifles, you're starting off with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip, so any other 'evil feature' on that rifle is verbotten.

As far as bullpups go, since they're not that common, I've never really given much thought as to how the AWB applies to them. Although you're technically right, I don't think the State of CT put that much thought into it when this AWB was put in place.

When I get back to work on Wednesday, I'll have to call the CT State Police Licensing & Firearms Unit and/or our Stare's Attorney's Office and pose that question. I'll let you know what I find out.

Don't bother with the cops, they don't know the law.

I'd stick with the State's Attorney, or even better, a Deputy AG.

I guess it all depends on whether or not you want to be a test case. I've been debating that recently in my own head. I have a CT legal AK74.
The law explicitly bans a threaded barrel. However, on an AK, the Barrel is not threaded. The front sight base is. So in theory a threaded front sight base, is not illegal.

I'm not ready to be a test case, but its interesting to ponder.

Don

Back
Top Bottom