Armed Robbery Down the Street

MaverickNH

NES Member
http://www.unionleader.com/article....23-4b8e50982619&headline=Bedford+store+robbed

"BEDFORD, NH (August 3, 2009) – Police are searching for a gunman who robbed Circle K Convenience Saturday night. About 9:30 p.m., a man with a black semi-automatic handgun entered the store at 8 White Ave., off Route 114, across from Goffstown Truck Center. The man demanded money and he fled with an undisclosed amount of cash, police said.

He is described as white, about 5-foot-4 to 5-foot 6, weighing about 125 pounds. He was wearing a dark-colored sweatshirt, a hat and jeans. The robbery remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 472-5113."

So crime comes to my neighborhood - this place is 1/2mi down our street off SR114, just West of Manchester, NH. The place is 5 years old, well-trafficced, has bright lights, large uncluttered windows, multiple staff on at all times and is open 5am - 11pm. Aside from being open on Saturday night after dark, they have managed risk factors well. Lot's of out-of-town traffic (many from MA) on the weekends going up to the recreation spots.

We're 19 homes in a development tucked in the woods. Kid on bicycles, people walking dogs and all that - no "bad" neighbors. Kid troop down to the Circle K on the weekends to buy ice cream and Dunkin Donuts.

It might be worth discussing at the annual homeowners meeting to see if we can induce some more neighborhood security options. We have street lights and most everyone has a dog and a gun or two. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
http://www.unionleader.com/article....23-4b8e50982619&headline=Bedford+store+robbed

"BEDFORD, NH (August 3, 2009) – Police are searching for a gunman who robbed Circle K Convenience Saturday night. About 9:30 p.m., a man with a black semi-automatic handgun entered the store at 8 White Ave., off Route 114, across from Goffstown Truck Center. The man demanded money and he fled with an undisclosed amount of cash, police said.

He is described as white, about 5-foot-4 to 5-foot 6, weighing about 125 pounds. He was wearing a dark-colored sweatshirt, a hat and jeans. The robbery remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 472-5113."

So crime comes to my neighborhood - this place is 1/2mi down our street off SR114, just West of Manchester, NH. The place is 5 years old, well-trafficced, has bright lights, large uncluttered windows, multiple staff on at all times and is open 5am - 11pm. Aside from being open on Saturday night after dark, they have managed risk factors well. Lot's of out-of-town traffic (many from MA) on the weekends going up to the recreation spots.

We're 19 homes in a development tucked in the woods. Kid on bicycles, people walking dogs and all that - no "bad" neighbors. Kid troop down to the Circle K on the weekends to buy ice cream and Dunkin Donuts.

It might be worth discussing at the annual homeowners meeting to see if we can induce some more neighborhood security options. We have street lights and most everyone has a dog and a gun or two. Any thoughts?

I think no neighborhood is going to safe in the upcoming months and years of this mess. There will be increases in crime everywhere, regardless of how safe the neighborhood used to be. So really it's just a matter of preparedness, just try to get through it with a knowledge that it will get worse. Plan out "what if" situations and don't be caught offguard.

No place is safe from crime. People get mugged in Irvine or Beverly Hills etc. I wouldn't sweat one robbery. If it's a pattern I would be concerned though.

The neighborhood is probably fine, although you might want to look with a critical eye at any large shrubs or other potential concealment that an interloper might be able to take advantage of. Don't guess, but have one or more persons try to hide behind any suspect object, and have others inside nearby houses try to observe them. Clear any blocked sightlines. At the store, are there multiple cameras on the entrance? Its a chokepoint, so it should be well lit, be observed from at least two positions that are separated by more than a person's arms-length, and the doorway should be obviously marked with ruled indicators so that a perpetrator's height may be easily determined from multiple directions. The fact that surveillance is constant - and tight - should be indicated by eye-catching signage outside the building. Any cameras on the door should record continuously, not just capturing every few frames or fields (half a frame) as a still picture. The camera feeds should be recorded on a digital drive that is armored, separately powered, not accessible to the employees, and the feed should be remotely accessible by net connection. At least one camera must be equipped with a remotely accessible pan-tilt-zoom feature. When the drive nears full, the video should be burned to disc, two copies, not held in the same location. If the neighborhood and store are amenable, you might want to set up a simple code system. Nothing fancy, just a simple way for store personnel to alert the neighbors if there is trouble.

Last edited:
Why was it necessary to point out that some of the traffic that passes by the store is made up of people from Ma? How many folks from Nebraska pass by each day?

Why was it necessary to point out that some of the traffic that passes by the store is made up of people from Ma? How many folks from Nebraska pass by each day?

In the Summer, our PD sets up motorcycles every mile along SR114 to catch the drivers that drive up the shoulders and through turn-lanes to beat traffic. They are almost invariably have MA plates. Where the lanes merge coming up 101W to 114N, the people rocketing up the Merge-Left lane to get ahead are very often vehicles with MA plates as well.

Our weekly police crime log has a curiously large number of MA residents listed. NH park police also write more citationss for MA residents than NH residents.

From the relative crime stats of neighboring states, the odds favor profiling MA plates. So PDs do.

But you're right - gotta keep an eye on them Nebraskans. They drive past your corn field and it's a husked corn massacre. [wink]

Let's see, kids from your neighborhood are known to frequent the crime scene in question and they're looking for a suspect that is white, about 5-foot-4 to 5-foot 6, weighing about 125 pounds. He was wearing a dark-colored sweatshirt, a hat and jeans. Hmmm, I thinking, I thinking.[grin]

Respectfully,
jkelly

I know all this stuff is most likely true. But I also can state facts about NH residents in Ma. I live 5 min from NH border on Rt13. My wife and I go for coffee each day between 6 and 9AM. In order to merge out from our street onto Rt13 we have to wait for the fright train of NH plates coming down from the north at 10 to 15mph over the limit and not one of them will let us out?!? One the other side when I'm heading home from Wal-Mart I always have a car up my butt all the way home and more times than not it's a NH plate. So I know all about people from other states not showing respect to the state there in at the moment. Don't get me wrong we Ma**h***s love you NH cow tippers. So come on down and take all our jobs then spend all the money you make in your own state[smile]. This is just in jest[smile]

Or is it[thinking]

In the Summer, our PD sets up motorcycles every mile along SR114 to catch the drivers that drive up the shoulders and through turn-lanes to beat traffic. They are almost invariably have MA plates. Where the lanes merge coming up 101W to 114N, the people rocketing up the Merge-Left lane to get ahead are very often vehicles with MA plates as well.

Our weekly police crime log has a curiously large number of MA residents listed. NH park police also write more citationss for MA residents than NH residents.

From the relative crime stats of neighboring states, the odds favor profiling MA plates. So PDs do.

But you're right - gotta keep an eye on them Nebraskans. They drive past your corn field and it's a husked corn massacre. [wink]

I know all this stuff is most likely true. But I also can state facts about NH residents in Ma. I live 5 min from NH border on Rt13. My wife and I go for coffee each day between 6 and 9AM. In order to merge out from our street onto Rt13 we have to wait for the fright train of NH plates coming down from the north at 10 to 15mph over the limit and not one of them will let us out?!? One the other side when I'm heading home from Wal-Mart I always have a car up my butt all the way home and more times than not it's a NH plate. So I know all about people from other states not showing respect to the state there in at the moment. Don't get me wrong we Ma**h***s love you NH cow tippers. So come on down and take all our jobs then spend all the money you make in your own state[smile]. This is just in jest[smile]

Or is it[thinking]

No offense, but if your state didn't suck so much a lot of those NH plates would be MA plates.

No offense, but if your state didn't suck so much a lot of those NH plates would be MA plates.

True, But how come they all seem to come down here to work????? Very interesting, Could it be because we have all the money down here? I agree this state sucks and if I could live in NH I would but all states have there ups and downs.

MA has more jobs, friendlier to companies apparently, if I had the choice I'd work in NH, I don't really enjoy driving 45 mins to work but then again I was relocated from another office and the choice between driving 45 mins to work and living in MA was an easy one.

I hear that Ma. begs companies to stay and come here with special tax brakes. Don't know if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me.

True, But how come they all seem to come down here to work?????

If all the educated skilled workers stayed in MA, then NH residents wouldn't be getting the jobs there. I work in MA because I like the company I work for. It's a small company and the owners actually care about their employees, it isn't just about the $$ for me. If something happened to the company I'd get a job in NH or open my own shop in NH.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll admit I come down to work and pay my 5.3% income tax. I don't think my MA company prefers me to MA employees due to my NH residency, so don't feel I'm "taking" a job from qualified MA residents.

... and I'll grant that commuter hours bring out the worst in all drivers.

So I'll just say that the scofflaw and scumbag migration up & down SR114 Friday through Sunday brings a lot of stangers by my neighborhood. Before the Irving/Circle K was there, they just drove by in the dark. Now many take a swing down our streets and run over lawns doing a U-Turn to get out. We take pictures and the PD sends citatations to the NH drivers but say they can't go after the MA drivers. While we could shred them in crossfire, that would seem excessive.

Yeah, I'll admit I come down to work and pay my 5.3% income tax. I don't think my MA company prefers me to MA employees due to my NH residency, so don't feel I'm "taking" a job from qualified MA residents.

... and I'll grant that commuter hours bring out the worst in all drivers.

So I'll just say that the scofflaw and scumbag migration up & down SR114 Friday through Sunday brings a lot of stangers by my neighborhood. Before the Irving/Circle K was there, they just drove by in the dark. Now many take a swing down our streets and run over lawns doing a U-Turn to get out. We take pictures and the PD sends citatations to the NH drivers but say they can't go after the MA drivers. While we could shred them in crossfire, that would seem excessive.

Just drive some nails into a piece of scrap wood and bury it upside down in your lawn where the propensity of tire marks accumulate.

Ask me how I know.

While we could shred them in crossfire, that would seem excessive.

Well it depends... I know NH is far better than MA, but is it legal to shoot at people doing donuts in your lawn there? If so, you might want to keep that option on the table. If not, I second the boards with nails idea, or some similar clever way of discouraging them from entering your lawn. (I wonder what piano wire strung between poles and trees, about 3 feet up, would do as it scrapes up and over their cars.)

(I wonder what piano wire strung between poles and trees, about 3 feet up, would do as it scrapes up and over their cars.)

Ugh, no, wasn't it a year or two ago that some sick people in Framingham were doing that? Lots of injuries to cyclists - both motorized and pedal-powered.

Flatten tires on all vehicles if you must but please not anything else!

My little brother works at the Rite Aid in Pinardville, maybe two miles down the road from this place. They had an attempted robbery last week, a kid walked up to pharmacy and handed over a note claiming he had a gun and wanted all the oxycotins.

Whether he had a gun or not, they don't know. The spunky senior citizen pharmacist simply picked up the phone and called the cops and the kid booked it out of there. Dumbass put his full palms on the automatic glass doors on his way out. Full prints on clean glass that no one else ever touches.

Either way, that whole area seems to be having an uptick in crime. The Circle K is in a secluded spot, and if you don't know the neighborhood is back there you'd never see it. I'm glad I moved out of Pinardville last winter.

Back
Top Bottom