Arlo wireless security cam review

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Netgear makes a wireless camera system called Arlo. It's indoor/outdoor, day/night, and records motion detected 10 second clips to their server and notifies you via app. You can also live-stream from each camera and take snapshots or record.

The basic service is free. You can upgrade to more capability at a cost of up to $150 per year. That level of service gives you the ability to track up to three different installations of up to five cameras each.

The cameras are battery powered and come with a standard magnetic mount that is super easy to mount. It also has the standard 1/4-20 threaded insert so you could easily make your own.

Setup is super-easy. You download the app, plug in the server, load the batteries, bring it near the server to activate, and you're done.

The best thing about this system is it's easy to move the cameras around. We can set them looking out at our place in NH so we can see if anyone/anything comes near, then point one inside to watch the dog while we are skiing.

You can also set up "friends" so my wife will be able to see what's going on, while I still have control over settings.

There may be more capable systems but I'd procrastinated 8 months getting something set up (the electrician failed to install the wiring we wanted for a more permanent setup.

After I use it more I'll give some more details.

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/

I hadn't seen that one yet. I wonder how long the battery lasts. If it had a mobile broadband connectivity of its own, I would be very interested (to watch off grid location).

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I hadn't seen that one yet. I wonder how long the battery lasts. If it had a mobile broadband connectivity of its own, I would be very interested (to watch off grid location).

4-6 months

It doesn't. Before I had internet in NH I had a Bushnell game camera with cell service for $10 a month.

It doesn't. Before I had internet in NH I had a Bushnell game camera with cell service for $10 a month.
I recall that camera being talked about. Recent reviews said AT&T disabled the older protocol that camera used, so it would not work anymore.

Back
Top Bottom