AR BCG lube?

Bt74

NES Member
I know there are a lot of diferent schools of thought on what to use for a lube, CLP/Froglube/synthetic ATF etc. Just wondering if this would be a good lube: Turboshaft Eng Lube Oil Synthetic - Mil-L-23699b (2). The specs say it is anti corrosive and lubes at the high and low temps encountered in jet engines. The reason I'm asking, is that I've aquired a couple of cases of 8 oz cans.

I know there are a lot of diferent schools of thought on what to use for a lube, CLP/Froglube/synthetic ATF etc. Just wondering if this would be a good lube: Turboshaft Eng Lube Oil Synthetic - Mil-L-23699b (2). The specs say it is anti corrosive and lubes at the high and low temps encountered in jet engines. The reason I'm asking, is that I've aquired a couple of cases of 8 oz cans.

Great Karma...thanks!

It's still ugly as sin...

I couldn't even make it 1/2 way through that video before I had to turn away (too disturbing)... Sex lube should be used for the right task, not drowning a grock...

if you think that's disturbing, don't watch the ones by mattv's creepy stalker pal.

if you think that's disturbing, don't watch the ones by mattv's creepy stalker pal.

If there's no grock in it, or sex lube, I'd probably be ok... That combo was just wrong on so many levels. Especially with all the sounds he was making... [rofl2]

For actual BCG lube (and most of my guns right now) I'm using Hoppe's synthetic gun lube. I have a larger bottle, plus the small one with the fine tip applicator (think needle applicator). I also plan on using Kroil to clean/lube my firearms moving forward. Heard really good things about it. PLUS, it's cheaper (per ounce) than a lot of the other gun lubes/cleaners. Acme has plenty on the shelf too.

I used "Break Free" CLP for many years with great results, but when the price got to $5.99 for four oz at the local gun store, I began to look for a new lube. I settled on synthetic motor oil and have been using it for about ten years. I can't say that synthetic is better than CLP but it seems to be just as good and, at less than $10 a quart, a lot cheaper. It also has the advantage of multiple viscosities. I use 20w50 for most center fire guns and 0 or 5 wt for finicky rim fires and extreme low temperatures.

This lube appears to be 5w oil, and "may contain" Tricresyl phosphate, according to the label. Tricresyl phosphate is used as a plasticizer in nitrocellulose, acrylate lacquers, varnishes, and in polyvinyl chloride. It is a flame retardant in plastics and rubbers. It is used as a gasoline additive as a lead scavenger for tetraethyllead.[2] It is a hydraulic fluid and a heat exchange medium. Exploiting its hydrophobic properties, it is used for the waterproofing of materials. It is a solvent for extractions, a solvent for nitrocellulose and other polymers. It is used as an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants and hydraulic fluids.[1]

This lube appears to be 5w oil, and "may contain" Tricresyl phosphate, according to the label. Tricresyl phosphate is used as a plasticizer in nitrocellulose, acrylate lacquers, varnishes, and in polyvinyl chloride. It is a flame retardant in plastics and rubbers. It is used as a gasoline additive as a lead scavenger for tetraethyllead.[2] It is a hydraulic fluid and a heat exchange medium. Exploiting its hydrophobic properties, it is used for the waterproofing of materials. It is a solvent for extractions, a solvent for nitrocellulose and other polymers. It is used as an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants and hydraulic fluids.[1]

Which means what, for us??

Hydrophobic properties, antiwear and extreme pressure additives sound good to me.

Ok, but aren't a lot of powders made with nitrocellulose?? Just wondering what a 'plasticizer' will do with the residue after the powder is burned.

Personally, with how little of the Hoppe's oil I use, I don't see a need to change over to something really designed for other applications. I have a full can of Kroil that I have yet to crack open. I'll use that before going to something different.

Back
Top Bottom