AR 556 conversions

So I looked briefly for a way to convert my standard AR to shoot 5.45x39 to save money on ammo. I assume I would need a complete upper. Will the mag well on a .223 lower work?

All I can seem to find is complete rifles

The lower can stay the same, although you may need to install a different hammer spring.. However, the magazines are the weak link in the system. You could use 5.56 magazines, but if IRC, they are only good for around 10 rounds, after which you are start getting feeding malfunctions. I think C Products makes 5.45 specific magazines, but they are post ban (if that's an issue to you) and don't have the greatest repuation.

The lower can stay the same, although you may need to install a different hammer spring.

Why would that even be an issue? There is no need to change hammer springs or anything else on the lower.

. However, the magazines are the weak link in the system. You could use 5.56 magazines, but if IRC, they are only good for around 10 rounds

Reports are 15-27 rounds depending on the type of mag.

I think C Products makes 5.45 specific magazines, but they are post ban (if that's an issue to you) and don't have the greatest repuation.

I have 30rd C Products .556 mags and don't like them, that's why I went to Pmags.

Any idea on companies that make complete uppers?

I was under the impression that M193& M855 is loaded with the harder primers also, are the russians makeing harder primers and installing heavier hammer springs in their guns ?

So I looked briefly for a way to convert my standard AR to shoot 5.45x39 to save money on ammo. I assume I would need a complete upper. Will the mag well on a .223 lower work?

All I can seem to find is complete rifles

Certainly do as you please...if you just want another cal. for your AR, go for it, but you might want to rethink your "save $$$" plan if that is your main objective...figure complete upper and a few mags gonna be around $500...$500 to shoot an "obscure" ammo (yeah I know its around, but its not exactly "everywhere")...I'd just spend that $500 on more 223 ammo...If I really wanted to save $$$ I'd buy a .22 conversion...or if I wanted to spend $500 to "save $$$" on ammo, I'd buy a 9mm upper...

Just something to consider if your motive is "saving $$$"

...are the russians makeing harder primers and installing heavier hammer springs in their guns ?
Maybe I am wrong but I don't think the russians are using AR style guns...(ie don't need to "change" springs in the guns the ammo was designed for [AK-type])

Last edited:
Why would that even be an issue? There is no need to change hammer springs or anything else on the lower.

Because sometimes the commie ammo is hard to light off. I saw one guy with a 7.62 x 39 upper who had ignition problems with Uly/Wolf/etc. He said his gun would only shoot US 7.62 x 39, likely has something to do with his BCG or his hammer spring. I saw light strikes on the russian stuff he was trying to use (and then gave up on. )

-Mike

500.00 should get you into reloading 5.56 also tring to find 5.45x39 10 round mags can be tough

If you want to shoot 5.45 buy a Saiga and convert it yourself or have it converted to AK74 clone. It will cost you about the same as AR15 upper in 5.45 and you'll be able to train on the most common in the world weapon system (think battlefield pickup).

Back
Top Bottom