ar-15 n00b: help me get started

I'd like to build an ar-15 at some point.

I've been looking at ar15.com and a handful of catalogs lately, but what I really need is to take a step back and get a basic education in parts, variations, etc. At this point, I have no idea what I want it for (match, varmit, shtf, etc). I just want to understand the options.

Perhaps I've missed it, but is there an "ar-15 101" guide out there somewhere?

Sorry for the n00b question.

You need to consider what the rifle is going to be used for. If you are eager to get started, you could pickup a stripped lower and parts kit and then decide where to go from there.
There are literally hundereds of choices for parts and equipment. Mayby the first step would be to get an assembly guide or tape to give you an idea of what is involved and the tools needed.

Yeah, I have a stripped lower and parts kit already, and I can build/fix just about anything. So I'm not worried about assembly.

I'll check out the full assembly guides in more detail on ar15.com. I don't know the terminology for everything yet, so even selecting upper parts is a challenge.

I'm in the same boat as you, I just built my lower today. Now I just dont know what I should do, should I build my upper or should I just buy a complete upper? The pro's to building my own is that I can build the way I want for less money. But then I have to worry if its all BAN compliant, if the head space correct, if everything is torqued properly. Ill also have to buy the appropriate tools to assemble it. The pro's to a complete upper is there are no worries its built correctly and in post ban configuration. Also does someone make a 18'' 5.56 barrel? I have seen 18'' 223 barrels but I told me to buy a 556 barrel so I can use 556 ammo.

Unless you are going to truely buy it piece by piece there are not a lot of tools needed.

End use and a budget is starting point. I put a 1k limit on my 1st build. Not includeing tools or books. AR15 is packed with info.

I decided on a stripped lower, A2 stock, and a group buy on a complete Stag H2 upper and lower parts kit. into it for 750.00 175 less than what I paid for complete rifle in Nov08. same rifle except the lower S&W vs STAG

Special tools, soft face mallet(wooded meat tenderizer) punches(crappy set of allen wrenches) screw drivers and tape.

I priced out buying each part individual, and the various price ranges, long waits, and shipping cost. Pushed mr into the 3 main componant type build.

Lower, parts kit, upper. Now that a 2nd build is boiling in my head. I may just grab parts here and there as I come across them. I also look for group buys.

m4carbine.net

If you are in a ban state, you cannot build a carbine with a collapsible stock, flash hider, or bayo lug on front site base unless the upper receiver will be attached to a pre-ban lower. Additionally, if the barrel is threaded, the muzzle device must be permanently attached.

I think that Bravo Company currently has the best deal on middle-length upper assemblies, and the BCM upper would be a good choice if you plan to use a standard FSB. The LMT FA BCG is very good and a little less expensive than BCM or DD. Bravo Company also can provide you with a stripped lower, FF rails, CH, BUIS, handgrip, A2 or other fixed stock, etc., but they only have DPMS LPKs in stock, and I would not use any DPMS parts in a carbine.

Brownells and Midway are fine if you are buying top tier components from them, but they also sell a lot of lesser quality stuff.

BCM, DD, Noveske, Troy, Magpul, Sabre, Colt, LaRue, and LMT make/sell good stuff.

Your most important step is going to be deciding what kind of rifle you want it to be. Do you want it chambered in .223, or something different (9mm, 6.8, .50 Beowulf, etc?). Do you want a carbine, a service rifle, a varmit rifle, etc? Once you answer those questions, you'll be able to better focus on what specific parts you need to make that rifle a variety.

To help, I'd cruise the "show me your AR" threads on NES, AR15.com, etc. Think of it as "window shopping." It'll help spark some ideas.

I'm still in the midst of building mine, and the like others have said, the biggest thing is figuring out what you are trying to build. I started off as wanting a carbine, with such and a such a stock and then a different stock, and several foregrips, blah blah blah. Now, in the meantime of waiting for funds (and product availability), I've decided to go with a standard A4 configuration. The only thing that's stayed the same is my lower.

Basically, I figured all of my friends have carbines, and I'll (hopefully) only be using it for target shooting. I don't plan on busting in anybody's door anytime soon. And if I want to play with a gas-piston carbine, I'll just borrow my friend's.

@Loftus: Funny, I've been thinking the same thing. After watching a bunch of those Brownells vidoes, I think the A4 is what I'm interested in. I do like the skeleton stock, though. A CAR without a collapsible stock seems like a disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom