• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appropos of Something...

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
In addition to making new owners of K98ks happy, I didn't forget myself. In partial payment, I took in trade a first generation import Walther P1. Graded "Excellent" by AIM and made in 6/85; ah college years. "Original" AIM box, and a Flectern holster from 1994. Also got an early Winchester M1 Carbine, 1/43 by serial number, re-barreled during an overhaul with a 4/44 Underwood barrel. Has a Winchester stock bottom. I saved a set of accoutrements for the day I would get a second carbine...MRT58 sling, original oiler, and a R.B. Hanson & Co. 1942 magazine pouch. Pouch really didn't want to close, but I got it, and hopefully it will stretch out.

Also in the mail today was a set of bright T-grips for my S/W M66 .357, and an Azula holster for my PPk which also fits my M14 Mauser.

So about half my inventory is sold off now.

t

Attachments

• IMG_5671.jpg
    IMG_5671.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5672.jpg
    IMG_5672.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5673.jpg
    IMG_5673.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5674.jpg
    IMG_5674.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5676.jpg
    IMG_5676.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
For tight pouches, I've cut an appropriate sized wood block and soaked the pouch in warm water for an hour. Insert wood, snap and let air dry.

What would you think fair retail value on that carbine?

“Fair” in the key word. About $900. Anything outside of friends or family is about $1200 and up.

t

Last edited:
The pouch closed fine around two magazines. I’ve had it sitting like that for two years. It’s the additional stretching over the carbine stock that is causing the problem.

r

Cheated a little. Wet the pouch, wrung it, and mounted it on a spare stock. Put the magazines in, closed it, and baked it in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes. Enough to sweat the stock a little. Slightly damp, but will eventually dry.

t

Attachments

• IMG_5697.jpg
    IMG_5697.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 24
Cheated a little. Wet the pouch, wrung it, and mounted it on a spare stock. Put the magazines in, closed it, and baked it in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes. Enough to sweat the stock a little. Slightly damp, but will eventually dry.

t
im still curious to why you mount the mag pouch on the stock?

I like the look from the multitude of period photographs. When I shoot I fill all 3 magazines and go from there.

t

I missed the Carbine/1903 train, but at least I have two nice Garands, which will have to do.
I was never particularly interested in the carbine but they get so much love it makes me think I must be missing something.

I missed the Carbine/1903 train, but at least I have two nice Garands, which will have to do.
I was never particularly interested in the carbine but they get so much love it makes me think I must be missing something.

You need to get one. I felt the same way about the M1 carbine for years but then got inspired to get one because of this kid.

m1audie-murphy-hell-and-back1.jpg

Here is the snipers rifle that killed his radioman and then wounded him from a ricochet before he took the kraut out with his carbine.
img083.jpg

Serial of Audie's wounded Winchester.
attachment.php

WRA cartouche
attachment.php

My 1st impression when I picked up one was this thing was a toy, what the hell did I buy. And then see the beauty - Extremely light weight, handy, mags over enblocs. Genius short stroke design. Was intended to be an upgrade compared to a 1911 pistol with short range rifle accuracy.

You need to get one. I felt the same way about the M1 carbine for years but then got inspired to get one because of this kid.

m1audie-murphy-hell-and-back1.jpg

Here is the snipers rifle that killed his radioman and then wounded him from a ricochet before he took the kraut out with his carbine.
img083.jpg

Serial of Audie's wounded Winchester.
attachment.php

WRA cartouche
attachment.php

My 1st impression when I picked up one was this thing was a toy, what the hell did I buy. And then see the beauty - Extremely light weight, handy, mags over enblocs. Genius short stroke design. Was intended to be an upgrade compared to a 1911 pistol with short range rifle accuracy.
Very nice. Those cartouches look excellent. I don't know what my grandfather would have been issued, he was in anti-aircraft in the Philippines, but I'm guessing the carbine or perhaps an 03A3. Supposedly he brought back his rifle, but since both of my maternal grandparents died when my mother was only a few years old, we have no idea what ended up happening to it, which really stinks. I have plenty of other artifacts, but no rifle sadly. I haven't been able to research much.

Thanks for sharing. I have nothing against the carbine--I had always wondered about the hype since they are very popular, but so many people like them, I figure they must have something going for them. I've never handled or fired one, but it appears that will change on Friday.

That stock is on the restored damaged Audie M1. Mine has similar deep stamps but a number of dings and dents.

The problem with the carbine is they are popular and many seem to be collecting. Resulting in the price continuing to increase. Get one sooner rather than later. Rockola damn hard now to find reasonably priced.

03A3 not as popular and will be more affordable for some time. Basically a stolen Mauser design anyway.

That's pretty early in the 1st block. I thought AM was a 1942 and yours is earlier.

I searched for +/- 10,000 around that number. I think I wound up on the positive end. Was advertised as 1942 year but was actually early 43 as I recall.

100,909 pieces later.

One little mistake on my part. I knew Winchester was early into the carbine game. December 1941 was SN 10. SN 1,000,000 started the first block in January, and 1349999 ended September 1942. So nine months gave 249,999 carbines. 27,778 avg/month.

Mine was the 7,874th ever built. I should have said January '42 for mine. Murphy's was 108,783; or about late March, early April 1942.

USCARBINECAL30M1.com

Back
Top Bottom