Appraisal Needed - M1 Carbine

Speaking of the bolt.....is the top of it completely round or mostly flat? Should be flat.

Are there any markings stamped into the wood anywhere? The stock is likely correct, but it would be interesting to see if there are any 'rebuild' marks in the wood.

There have been many helpful replies here, and I've been learning a lot from the resources offered on the topic of the M1. I've been doing some supplemental reading, to say the least.

I'll be following up with additional information when I can digest what I've learned and sit down and give this rifle a good look-over. Vellnueve, I may even do some disassembly, and try to figure out where the major components came from. I've done some reading up on the procedure, and feel a little better about it now. But this will have to be a project for a long weekend, I think.

I'll post my findings when I have them.

Thank you all for your guidance and your insight. The M1, I'm learning, is a subject in itself. I wish I could afford a dozen more ...

Indeed it is. I recommend Craig Riesch's book "M1 Carbines: Wartime Production" which goes through all the markings and variations. Available at Amazon.

Once you figure out how to strip it, you'll be doing it in seconds each time. I can have each of my carbines field stripped blindfolded in about 15-30 seconds.

After developing an interest and thirst for knowledge about M1 carbines, I purchased Craig Riesch's book 'U.S. M1 Carbines Wartime Production' and also 'The M1 Carbine Owner's Guide' by Larry Ruth and Scott Duff, found them both very worthwhile books for anyone interested in the M1 Carbine. Highly recommend both books.

It is an early Model because the serial number says so. You also have no bayonet lug which is correct for the low serial number. Bayonet lugs were added after WWII Flip up front sight is an early feature as well as the push button safety. The push button safety was replaced with the flip safety because it kept getting confused with the mag release. Also the high cut stock is an early feature. The barrel is in the correct range for the serial number so it looks like you have the origional barrel which is a plus to collectors. I havent seen any ordinance stamps on the stock. Are there any markings?
No M1 carbine manufacturer made all the parts for a carbine so different parts doesn't necessarily mean they arent correct for the rifle.

This is a great site to learn dissassembly for the Carbine. http://www.gunsworld.com/m1m14/m1c_dis_us.html

To remove the oiler from the stock you need to thread one side of the sling back through the stock then pull it through. Then the oiler rolls out. Putting it back you drop the oiler in. thread the sling through then back to the other side. no force is required just some threading of the sling.

The Type 4 trigger housing is not correct both because Inland made their own trigger housings (all of which were the machined type) and because the stamped housing is not in the correct time frame for the serial number.

The Type 4 trigger housing is not correct both because Inland made their own trigger housings (all of which were the machined type) and because the stamped housing is not in the correct time frame for the serial number.

As a practical matter, how does one recognize a stamped from a milled trigger housing? And how many components of an Inland Carbine should be expected to be of Inland manufacture? Would a complete, original Inland be expected to have an Inland stock?

I've got to take this thing apart and look for every marking I can find, I think.

Most M1's were refurbished after the war. Judging by the condition of yours it looks like it was never issued or issued very late. The fact that you have all of the early production features such as a flat bolt, high wood, no bayonet lug (so I assume you have a narrow barrel band??), flip sight, only 2 rivets on the handguard flange (later models had 4 rivets) and push button safety makes it a keeper anyway you look at it. This also leads me to believe that this M1 was not refurbished as most of the parts listed above would have been replaced with their superceeded parts at that time. Keep us posted. I'd love to know where this M1 came from.

Last edited:
As a practical matter, how does one recognize a stamped from a milled trigger housing? And how many components of an Inland Carbine should be expected to be of Inland manufacture? Would a complete, original Inland be expected to have an Inland stock?

I've got to take this thing apart and look for every marking I can find, I think.

STAMPMILLED.jpg

Pilgrim,

Here's a photo of the sling well and barrel.

The marking on the sling well looks like TN, but I imagine it should be IN, for Inland? I didn't see the word "TRIMBLE" until I looked at the photo ...

4-2008_0304003.jpg

4-2008_0304001.jpg

Edited to add: TN refers to Trimble Nursery and Furniture Co., Rochester NY (?)

Huh.

I learn and learn.

I believe that Trimble TN Type 2 stock is not correct for your 5 digit Inland. That stock would be correct on a Saginaw Gear at the 3.280M+ range or NPM at the 1.490M+ range. The correct stock for a 5 digit Inland would be a Type 1 with the following markings: O, IA, OI with a flaming bomb. These are hard to find and command a big price right now in this market. BTW, that is a beautiful Inland. Very nice. [smile][wink]

MrJ

www.mrjitters.net

Here's what I know:

Inland barrel dated 8-42
Serial number 486xx
Stamped (not milled) trigger housing
Push button safety
2 rivet handguard
Trimble high-wood stock
Narrow barrel band
Flat bolt (?)
Rear flip sight stamped "S"
Front sight stamped "N"
Trigger guard appears stamped "O"
Magazines stamped IA
Magazine pouch hard to read ... looks like "S. PR....? Inc, N.Y.C. 1942(or 3)"
No markings found on barrel band or swivel
Nor markings (proof mark, cartouch ... ) found on stock except "Trimple TN" in sling well.

And that's a heck of a lot more than I knew a couple of days ago. (Thank you, all BTW) I think this one will stay in the case for a while, until I can get it evaluated and appraised.

Whether a near original or mixmaster, this rifle really feels good to hold ...

2008_0309Image0003.jpg

2008_0309Image0002.jpg

2008_0309Image0001.jpg

2008_0309Image0007.jpg

2008_0309Image0011.jpg

Yeah, definitely some mixed parts in there. But if you make it to an NES shoot and still haven't had it looked at, I'll bring the Riesch book and take a look if you want. Some of the parts are definitely mixed, but the barrel and receiver appear to be correct and that is huge. An early 5 digit receiver will bring close to a thousand by itself.

Back
Top Bottom