Apple Watch as shot timer

It struck me that the Apple Watch that was announced today could make a good shot timer.

Like many others, I use a shot timer app on my iPhone, but it really only works when I'm alone at the indoor range. When I'm not, the timer app detects the other people's shots as well, and adjusting the sensitivity does not seem to help. Using the accelerometer in the Apple Watch to detect recoil should eliminate this problem.

Has anyone seen any details about WatchKit, the set of tools that developers will use? Does it give access to the accelerometer in a way that would make it possible to make a recoil-based shot timer app?

Just don't shoot yourself while playing with the controls.

I like your idea though.

Thanks, found it: SHOTMAXX At $150, it's cheaper than the Apple Watch, and they have likely figured out how to make the signal processing more robust than what I would manage with limited time and effort.

I have had one for a few months and love it. Sensitivity can be dialed up to the point that it works with an Airsoft gun.

I have had one for a few months and love it. Sensitivity can be dialed up to the point that it works with an Airsoft gun.

Gammon, (and others) I am trying to decide between the Shotmaxx and the CED7000, both have all the features I need, etc, but how well does the shotmaxx work if you are an RO timing someone else? Are there any logistic issues like where you need to hold your arm, or pressing buttons, i.e anything that would interfere with your job as an RO?

For example, the CED7000 has one handed operation, and can be positioned in your palm to easily face the shooter, but the shotmaxx may require maneuvering your arm, two handed operation,etc. (These could be mountains out of molehills, but that tends to be my M.O. [grin])

TIA

Back
Top Bottom