• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

APO Shipping and ITAR

Tried to order a replacement tape switch for my Streamlight as my current one is worn out. Went to Opticsplanet, picked one out, paid, order confirmed. Got an email a few hours later saying that they couldn't ship because the tape switch is ITAR restricted and they won't ship to APO.

I swear I will never figure out how they pick what is restricted and what isn't. What's so f'ing dangerous about a plastic/rubber switch?

What makes it worse is it seems that a lot of the websites have different interpretations of what can and can't be shipped. Just makes it a pain in the ass to try and find something at a decent price and then have to worry on if the site will actually send it to me or not.

Skdtac.com is the best at identifying upfront, you have to check a box acknowledging it's ITAR before you can add it to the cart. Lots of other sites though they hide it in the fine print or don't tell you till after you order.

Tried to order a replacement tape switch for my Streamlight as my current one is worn out. Went to Opticsplanet, picked one out, paid, order confirmed. Got an email a few hours later saying that they couldn't ship because the tape switch is ITAR restricted and they won't ship to APO.

I swear I will never figure out how they pick what is restricted and what isn't. What's so f'ing dangerous about a plastic/rubber switch?

What makes it worse is it seems that a lot of the websites have different interpretations of what can and can't be shipped. Just makes it a pain in the ass to try and find something at a decent price and then have to worry on if the site will actually send it to me or not.

Skdtac.com is the best at identifying upfront, you have to check a box acknowledging it's ITAR before you can add it to the cart. Lots of other sites though they hide it in the fine print or don't tell you till after you order.

It is the .gov that decides what is ITAR protected. It could be something that was developed under a .gov contract with no real strategic value, but because of who funded the work.

Back
Top Bottom