AP: RFID tags in guns could put US troops at risk

Reptile

NES Member
The Associated Press has found that some units in the U.S. military are using radio frequency identification to keep track of guns. But placing RFID tags in weapons raises security concerns that enemies could detect troops on the battlefield. (Sept. 30)

I remember when they first started putting stickers with QR codes or something on all the guns on base. I had the armorer go completely apeshit when I was turning my weapon in after cleaning and off handedly said "some idiot put a freaking sticker on this, took forever to get it off, too" while showing the OTHER side of the pistol that was clear of the sticker.

You would think that, but I can think of a couple whizbang designs that might increase the range… especially if you can throw some juuuuuuice at it.

old vid but you get the idea….

View: https://youtu.be/q9_8F_BKeto

I was actually surprised they picked them up at 200 feet/yards in the other video. Our guns had them for tracking purposes. I'd imagine something that could really reach out would be hard to conceal and essentially have a 'place 500lb bomb here' sign on it.

I also think it would generally only be a DF steer, you might know a guy is at 130 degrees, and 'somewhere' within your activation radius. I just seems to me too nerdy to use on a dynamic battlefield. What piqued my interest was them singling out one particular RFID, let's say the commander's gun, then setting a IED up to pop the commander. I know leadership on the battlefield is dynamic, but those couple of minutes sorting it out could be significant.

I was actually surprised they picked them up at 200 feet/yards in the other video. Our guns had them for tracking purposes. I'd imagine something that could really reach out would be hard to conceal and essentially have a 'place 500lb bomb here' sign on it.

I also think it would generally only be a DF steer, you might know a guy is at 130 degrees, and 'somewhere' within your activation radius. I just seems to me too nerdy to use on a dynamic battlefield. What piqued my interest was them singling out one particular RFID, let's say the commander's gun, then setting a IED up to pop the commander. I know leadership on the battlefield is dynamic, but those couple of minutes sorting it out could be significant.

I think the danger is more like "some durka with knowledge makes a portable RFID radar" now they get a ping whenever someone gets within a couple hundred feet of their cave or some shit (like a special forces unit) but in most cases you're right anyways- the bastards in that cave or whatever are still going to die. [laugh]

I can see side-cases where this could be a problem though. SF types are probably going to be carrying guns without that bullshit in it anyways.

I think the danger is more like "some durka with knowledge makes a portable RFID radar" now they get a ping whenever someone gets within a couple hundred feet of their cave or some shit (like a special forces unit) but in most cases you're right anyways- the bastards in that cave or whatever are still going to die. [laugh]

I can see side-cases where this could be a problem though. SF types are probably going to be carrying guns without that bullshit in it anyways.
I bet, my gun's RFID went missing at some point. Terrible accident, I'm told.

Why the f*** bother, Sleepy Joe is just gonna leave everything behind anyway........
Well this alllll could be part of the long push... give then tagged stuff I'd them blow them up while also getting rid of crap colt guns

Maybe we aren't giving old tater head enuff credit

I could see it being useful for parimeter defense .
For the other side.
Cross the wire with a chip and set off all kinds of alarms.
If we can think of a way to chip them , someone else will find a way to exploit it.
No matter how fast , strong or smart you are , there is always someone faster , stronger or smarter. Always.

Lt -- Sergeant, the enemy has the capability to detect RFID chips.
E5 -- Acknowledged. I'll have the troops disable or remove them.
E6 -- Acknowledged. Engage jammers.
E7 -- Excellent. I'll place a handful of them over there and we'll ambush them.

IMO, the reporter and researchers got all excited about their results and didn't think through the military side very well. The army is already rolling out VROD units. It's easier to detect the RFID detector than the RFID chip that responds to it. The "detect the detector" issue has been known and exploited since at least WWII.

Back
Top Bottom