Anything about a S&W 629-1 I should know about?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm about to pull the trigger on a S&W 629-1 with the 8" bbl. Nice handgun in it's original configuration. Before I do is there anything about this model I should be aware of first? I heard that the original 629s with no dash had problems with heavy loads and the cylinder becoming unlocked. I believe that problem was resolved in the -1 model.

Figured I'd check before picking this up. Thanks!

I have 629 Classic 8-3/8, I love it. I had a trigger job, it made all the difference.

according to the SWSC, the 'endurance package' with hardened yoke and frame (called the transitional fix) didn't come out until sometime during the -2 series about 1989.

That said, the problem you are worried about never was a real problem unless you shot a steady diet of heavy loads. I had a -1 and never worried about it with regular loads and a few heavy loads once in a while.

Go for it.

Doesn't the 629-1 have the firing pin as part of the hammer? I have the Classic with the 8 3/8" barrel and I keep my handloads moderate, around 80% of max. The Corbon site used to mention their ammo was not suitable for S&W revolvers but that statement is no longer in their FAQ's. Same with Buffalo Bore ammo.

It's right under the serial number on the frame:
SW.jpg

I have one.

The only advice I will offer is buy two, because everytime I bring someone to the range with me, they want to shoot it.

Also, they can get expensive to feed unless you reload.

I buy .44 components in bulk, it's the only way to fly!

Just checked mine, it's the 629-6

Last edited:
Thanks for the information everyone. I appreciate it.

do the trigger job, I like my 629 but if I were to do it over again I think I should have kept the 686

Boghog1, why would you have kept the 686? Funny mentioning this as I'm doing a straight up trade with a 686 Plus for the 629. They both are at the same price point, and well I have two other S&W 357 mag revolvers. Figured it was a good trade.

according to the SWSC, the 'endurance package' with hardened yoke and frame (called the transitional fix) didn't come out until sometime during the -2 series about 1989.

That said, the problem you are worried about never was a real problem unless you shot a steady diet of heavy loads. I had a -1 and never worried about it with regular loads and a few heavy loads once in a while.

Go for it.

Thanks Pilgrim for the specifics on this. I'll have to bring this up with the owner of the 629!

Doesn't the 629-1 have the firing pin as part of the hammer?

It does. I like that about this handgun. My 686 Plus doesn't have that, plus it has the trigger lock. I'll definitely have to start reloading for this round.

why the 686 and not the 629. I like the .357 as a fun and accurate gun to shoot. the .44 looses the fun after the first box of ammo (I guess I am a wimp) although it is fun I can shoot the .357 longer without bothering my hand. I was way quicker with follow up shots with it as well. from a hunting stand point I love the 629. I have been trying to buy back my 686 for near 20 years

Back
Top Bottom