Anyone use the new BCM Keymod HG yet? (BCM KMR)

Buddy of mine just put one his 6920 Friday.

nbou85.jpg

Installation was quick and easy. Light, but very solid. Everything you'd expect from BCM gear.

I don't have the Bcm but I picked up a 12" Midwest industries key mod rail. These things are light! I like the the key mod locking system. It's quick and easy to move rails and swap pieces. Bcm is coming out with a vfg that's a direct rail mount. You don't have to buy another section of rail for attachment. The feel is where it gets odd. Shooting with gloves is fine, but my bare hands tend to get beat up from the key holes. I definitely recommend the panel kits for these types of rails.

i handled one on a rifle at my buddies shop the other day, i think my next upper is going to be a BCM middy with the KMR. its incredible how lightweight they are.

Just finished this one. Mocked it up and decided i wanted a 15" handguard. I made the decision to stick with the BCM KMR, and when they come out with the 15", i will put it on.

20140505_101951.jpg

20140505_102015.jpg

20140505_102109.jpg

20140505_102126.jpg

The pin and weld came out great, was going to grind the bead off the weld, but, i like the looks of it. Just drilled the pig, timed it, drilled a bit of thread, dropped in a piece of coat hanger and zapped it.

20140505_102042.jpg

Haven't shot it yet, but, not expecting any issues. All quality parts.

Noveske N4 upper
Noveske 13.7" Infidel Barrel
Noveske KX5 pinned and welded.
BCM KMR 13"
BCM BCG

Bushy preban lower. F Massachusetts.

In terms of durability, the finish is not great. I used my wooden mallet to tap it onto the barrel nut, and it chipped.

20140422_130259.jpg

Other than that, thing is strung, the fit is great, and attaching it is WAY easier that the Noveske.

Dude keymod is so 5 minutes ago get down with the MLOC.

But in all seriousness Id probably go with the midwest industries gen 2 SS MLOC rails... ive been doing some research and I think ultimately it will win out over keymod.

I do like the KMR though.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I like that. First time i've seen it. Serious butt hurt debate going on about it over on ar15.

The thing that i do not understand is why there are no keymod/mloc sights, etc. More specifically, when will the rail attachments go away and all attachments be direct to the keymod/mloc.

What do i know, i am a guy that has zero armed service history and likes to build things and sell them at a loss. :)

The mil is increadibly slow to adapt. I think MLOC ultimately will beat out keymod, however. It seems to be a better design all around. Also, magpul will be making tons of furniture for it, which should help to saturate the market.

Mike

Any of you guys try this yet?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR13-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr13.htm

Seems intriguing, with lighter weight, etc. Mostly trying to find info about installation and durability etc.

I know some people are going to crow "bbbbut its expensive". Then again its not really, given Noveske's NSR, etc.

-Mike

The NSR is actually cheaper. I've shot a Noveske with the NSR a few times and I loved it. But I ordered the KMR today because it's lighter and suppose to be easy to install unlike the NSR.

If anyone is interested..midway is having a clearance sale on the DD 14" lite rail. Normally $375....just picked mine up for $280 with shipping.

Lite rails are pretty sweet, thats what my AR wears. In the future Ill be going for something in MLOK though. I really like the rails from Midwest Industries, amd theyre cheap (and wicked lite, and have a good mounting system).

Mike

BCMBUSHNOV.jpg

20140703_132029.jpg

I really like this set up a lot. I like it a lot. Need to get some panels on it as the heat transfer, as is the case with all of my free float rails, is noticeable. Not too big a deal, but gotta do it.

The rail to barrel nut lock up is great. Rock solid.

My only gripe that I could see about M-LOK is the damn locking nut and getting the gap correct. Over tighten - possibly dig into the material of the handguard and that one spot of M-LOK rail will forever be a slightly different tolerance. After several rounds of shooting, does that start to exaggerate and get worse..? I know they did a 300 round torture test, or whatever Magpul advertised. But I can just see myself there, trying to figure out if I should spin the nut one more time, then spin it one more time, then one last time. Rinse and repeat. I find nearly the same issue with picatinny.

My only gripe that I could see about M-LOK is the damn locking nut and getting the gap correct. Over tighten - possibly dig into the material of the handguard and that one spot of M-LOK rail will forever be a slightly different tolerance. After several rounds of shooting, does that start to exaggerate and get worse..? I know they did a 300 round torture test, or whatever Magpul advertised. But I can just see myself there, trying to figure out if I should spin the nut one more time, then spin it one more time, then one last time. Rinse and repeat. I find nearly the same issue with picatinny.

Buy a torque wrench, find out the spec, torque to spec.

Sure - once you determine what the initial gap should be. If you're one full turn too tight on the gap - then torque to spec, will the material of the rail be malformed enough for premature wear?
I'm over thinking this aren't I?

Yes, very very very much.

When you torque a piece of steel into a piece of aluminum, it will cause cosmetic blemishes. You have to just accept that. Its not "premature wear", its just what happens.

So like I said, torque to spec. And if there isn't a torque spec published by magpul or BCM, then a standard mechanics reference will give the maximum torque for the size fo the fastener.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom